Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Accepted into a top 60 school with only a 10k/year merit scholarship when i’m way high in their %??

_oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member

My GPA is way past their percentiles and my LSAT score is median
They accepted me a couple weeks after I applied!
This was the school I was hoping to get the most $$$ from
What gives??
Do I ask for more scholarship money now or wait til other acceptances come in later

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Hey @"surfy surf" ,

Congrats on getting accepted and a nice scholly. Unfortunately, some schools are just more stingy with their scholarship offers. For example, Fordham law, even when above both 75th%tiles tends to give pretty low ball scholarship offers. However, you can negotiate and try to get schools to raise their offers. I would wait until you have other offers in hand to use as a bargaining chip.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited December 2017 3652 karma

@"Alex Divine" on their site it says their merit schollys range from $10,000 to $35,000 per year.
    I was really banking on getting at least 20k
    How much more do schools even give out would it be too much to ask for 20k if all they’re willing to give is 10k??

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"surfy surf" said:
    @"Alex Divine" on their site it says their merit schollys range from $10,000 to $35,000 per year.
    I was really banking on getting at least 20k
    How much more do schools even give out would it be too much to ask for 20k if all they’re willing to give is 10k??

Yeah, schools will list a wide range of possible scholly outcomes, but the person who they offer that $35k a year may be someone with ridiculous scores. Who knows... It's not uncommon for schools to be real cheap with their offers at first.

How much they will negotiate varies from school to school. If you can get an offer for $20k/yr from a better ranked or similarly ranked school, you will have a better shot due to having some leverage. It's also still early in the cycle and it may be causing them to be more conservative with their offers.