Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Next steps after a successful December LSAT

Hi everyone,

I have some good news- after averaging ~170 on my practice LSATs, I managed to pull off a 175 on test day. I couldn't have done it without the help of the 7Sage community, so thank you all for your continued support and advice!

At this point I'm trying to figure out what my next steps should be. On the LSAC scale I have a cumulative 3.98 GPA, and on the OLSAS scale my cGPA is 3.84, while my B3 is 3.92. So, I know that I have a fairly competitive numeric profile, but since i was scoring in the low 170s before I only applied for the University of Toronto and UBC law schools. Now, however, I know that I have competitive enough scores to apply for some of the top schools in the world- I want to apply to Yale, Harvard, and Stanford.

My main question is whether you guys think that I should apply this year (I likely won't have my letters of reference completed until late January) or if I should wait until the next cycle. Any advice would go a long way; thank you all so much again!

Arlo

Comments

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

With those stats, I see no point in delaying. You should get into some amazing schools. I would apply now and blanket the top 14. Congratulations! How did you achieve a 175?

• marcosmcqueenmarcosmcqueen Member
    241 karma

I don't see any downside to applying this year. If you don't like your offers you can still apply again next cycle.

• TheLogicianTheLogician Member
    43 karma

@Emily2122 said:
    With those stats, I see no point in delaying. You should get into some amazing schools. I would apply now and blanket the top 14. Congratulations! How did you achieve a 175?

Thank you! I have some background in logic and argument-analysis through my current degree in philosophy, so large sections of the 7sage curriculum were review for me. That said, I struggled somewhat with logic games for a while, and up until the test date I was in a position where I knew my LG would make or break my score. So I think a large part of what helped me was keeping a very clear head in the days leading up to the exam. I made sure to get everything else I had to do done far ahead of time so that I was not stressed in the two weeks leading up to the test date, and that allowed me to put all my mental energy into the test.

• thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    1363 karma

In case money's a factor, you might want to give the schools outside the T3 a shot too. You might bag in some pretty huge schollies from those schools (possibly even HYS). Canada isn't quite as generous with respect to scholarships, so you might actually end up spending lesser for a legal education in US. This is, of course, assuming you're open to practicing in the States (which, I think you are? Given that you're considering HYS)

As for whether you should apply this cycle... your application is not going to be considered less competitive by any means if you were to apply toward the latter part of the cycle. At least I don't think so. So, why not apply?