Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conference Papers on Resume

Does anyone have any advice on how I go about putting research papers I presented at conferences on my resume? Do I just put them under my education section like so:
Conference Papers:
o “Scotland is Ours: The Impact of Youth Voters on the 2014 Scottish Independence Referendum” (With Mathers, E). Great Plains Political Science Association Conference, Overland Park, KS Fall 2016. (Won Best Undergraduate Paper Award),
o “Flexible Politics: Mobilization strategies of youth activists in the 2014 Scottish Independence Referendum” (With Clancy, K and Mathers, E.)

It just seems like it takes up a lot of space and makes my education section way too long. The papers were never published, so I can't put them under a publications section. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    edited December 2017 711 karma

I also have papers that I added to my resume and I gave it it's own whole section (see below).

EDUCATION:
    School 1 - dates
    School information
    School 2 - dates
    School information

RESEARCH:
    Research Laboratory - dates
    Brief description.
    Publication name:
    Awards

Or if you did it independently:

RESEARCH:
    Independent Research - dates
    Brief description [this section optional if you're REALLY trying to save space].
    Publication name:
    Awards

Two reasons why you might want to make room on your resume for details about your research ie. why they should have their own section.
    1. If you are wanting to go to law school for legal research (either you want to teach law or work in policy or government) and/or you want to do research while in law school, and have indicated either of these on your personal statement, I would strongly encourage you to emphasize this in your resume front and center (particularly if your past research is in line with the type of law policy you want to focus on). This comes from advice from a dean of admissions at UC Berkeley who said "put it front and center" when I asked about the importance of research to their admissions because for UCB, research is important. Which brings me too...
    2. Schools that have a heavy research/policy focus really want to see that you have a research background and putting that stuff front and center will definitely give you an edge.

Just my two cents. :)

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

I have some of my graduate talks and commentaries on my resume. The only difficult thing is finding a balance between including that stuff and not running over two pages. If you're running over that, I perhaps would think about prioritizing in terms of (a) conference prestige, and (b) relevance to law.--A.c.S

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

@acsimon said:
    I have some of my graduate talks and commentaries on my resume. The only difficult thing is finding a balance between including that stuff and not running over two pages. If you're running over that, I perhaps would think about prioritizing in terms of (a) conference prestige, and (b) relevance to law.--A.c.S

Totally a good point. Definitely want to keep it to two pages. :)

• rknwu2017rknwu2017 Alum Member
    19 karma

Awesome, thank you both for the advice. I'm trying to keep my resume to one page for conciseness, but I think a research section is a great idea.