Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lsat addendum for improvement

g00g00shg00g00sh Member
in General 119 karma

Hi all, I know this issue has been addressed before but I wanted to hear more thoughts on it. I took the test in September and December, and though both scores were very good, the second one was in a higher score band than the first: seven points higher. I retook the test simply because I knew I could do better. I'm trying to decide if I should include a VERY brief addendum saying something to just that effect, or does the higher score speak for itself? Those were the only two times I took the test, and since it's quite common to retake, I don't want to bore the admissions officers with an extra page of reading if it's not necessary; but I do feel that the December score represents my true ability, so I'm not 100% sure which strategy is better. Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited December 2017 4196 karma

I've heard that it's really not necessary. Some schools say to write one for a score increase but everyone I've spoken to says it's really not necessary to do so.

I'd say, however, if you truly have a legit reason for the increase (e.g. you were sick for the first take or something) then MAYBE you could do one. But if your explanation is just that you studied more/better then nah.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@Max_henry91 said:
    Hi all, I know this issue has been addressed before but I wanted to hear more thoughts on it. I took the test in September and December, and though both scores were very good, the second one was in a higher score band than the first: seven points higher. I retook the test simply because I knew I could do better. I'm trying to decide if I should include a VERY brief addendum saying something to just that effect, or does the higher score speak for itself? Those were the only two times I took the test, and since it's quite common to retake, I don't want to bore the admissions officers with an extra page of reading if it's not necessary; but I do feel that the December score represents my true ability, so I'm not 100% sure which strategy is better. Any advice is appreciated!

Some schools tell you to write one above a certain increase(often 6 points). I increased by 8 and have wrote addendums at schools that specifically ask for one. You are right to keep it brief if you do.

I also had a little bit of an excuse since I had oral surgery two weeks before my first test which distracted from studying(though I managed to Pt quite well as I tapered off of vikadin) and resulted in some soreness which was still lingering during the test.

The main reason for a score increase is always going to be that you studied more. I was the sickest I had been in years when I took my actual LSAT and outscored my best PT. Holding back the dry heaves till the break was substantially more distracting than the pain in my mouth on the first test. I scored better anyways because I studied a lot inbetween. Nonetheless, if you write an addendum, try to convince them something else(something true other than the studying difference) was holding you back a little on the first one.

• pioneer321pioneer321 Free Trial Member
    328 karma

@TheMikey ,@"Seeking Perfection"
    Is it the same for much larger increases? I went up by 18 points between my first and second takes, and wondering whether I should be writing an addendum for all schools, or just the ones that specifically request one.

edited January 2018 4423 karma

@pioneer321 said:
    @TheMikey ,@"Seeking Perfection"
    Is it the same for much larger increases? I went up by 18 points between my first and second takes, and wondering whether I should be writing an addendum for all schools, or just the ones that specifically request one.

If the addendum is something more substantial than that you studied more, I would use it. If it is just studying better, probably only use it if asked. They don't make a huge difference anyway since most schools really just look at the highest score.

328 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

If the addendum is something more substantial than that you studied more, I would use it. If it is just studying better, probably only use it if asked. They don't make a huge difference anyway since most schools really just look at the highest score.

Thanks for reply. I do have a reason for underperforming the first time, but like you said, more studying must have had a strong effect on the retake. Is there a consensus for which of the T-13s definitely want the addenda?

• Sammie215Sammie215 Member
    202 karma

For what its worth, my score went up 10 points from September to December and I'm not writing one. I agree with @"Seeking Perfection" that it would be more compelling if there was some concrete reason for underperforming the first time (for me there wasn't really). Maybe it'd be different if you started with an abysmal score, but since you said they're both good, then meh.

4423 karma

@pioneer321 said:

Thanks for reply. I do have a reason for underperforming the first time, but like you said, more studying must have had a strong effect on the retake. Is there a consensus for which of the T-13s definitely want the addenda?

@pioneer321 said:

NYU says it averages without one. As far as anyone can tell that is not remotely true, but I submitted one there.

At a law fair both Northwestern and U of M told me to supply one so I did.

I also sent one to Yale since they seem to look more at lower scores.

I didn't at most of the others, but could be forgetting some.

328 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" Great, this is really helpful. NYU was the most concerning one to me, since that they explicitly say "average" in their admissions FAQ. Kinda assumed it's bs based on lsn, but figured to ask.