Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I write a diversity statment?

My PS is all about being a minority. You read it, and you know I'm an URM.

So do I need to write a diversity statement? The only topic I was thinking about writing was being a first generation American, but the statement I came up with, ends up with the same message or goal (I want to represent my minority community in the legal world). What do y'all think?

To add or not?!
  1. Put in the diversity statement?16 votes
    1. yes
      18.75%
    2. no
      81.25%

Comments

• AmateurProphetAmateurProphet Alum Member
    183 karma

I'd try to incorporate your DS topic into your PS, if there's space. I know they don't like redundancy :neutral: Hope this helps

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Either write the diversity statement about something else or don't write it at all. There is no reason to steal the personal statement's thunder. That said something like a disability, poverty, or being the first generation in college are all things that could make diversity statements too. It doesn't just have to be about your minority community from your personal statement.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2018 23929 karma

My PS basically functions as my DS too.

I think @"Seeking Perfection" is right that you should write it on something else or don't write it. You'll risk taking away from your PS's "thunder."

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited January 2018 3072 karma

I'm of a certain opinion, of course, but I think your PS and DS should function differently.

Your PS should show a bunch of general things about you, like why you want to go to law school, why you think you'll be a good student, and essentially why admissions officers should believe that you'll be a worthy addition to their school. You want to tell them the why of your life and how your experiences have led you to the point where you want to go to law school.

Your DS should detail a diverse experience you've had in/throughout your life, why it's important to your journey, and how your diverse experience will contribute to the experience/education of your cohort at law school.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@goingfor99th said:
    I'm of a certain opinion, of course, but I think your PS and DS should function differently.

Your PS should show a bunch of general things about you, like why you want to go to law school, why you think you'll be a good student, and essentially why admissions officers should believe that you'll be a worthy addition to the school. You want to tell them the why of your life and how your experiences have led you to the point in your life where you want to go to law school.

What if the things that make you diverse are the experiences/things that have led you to the point where you want to go to law school?

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@goingfor99th said:

Your PS should show a bunch of general things about you, like why you want to go to law school, why you think you'll be a good student, and essentially why admissions officers should believe that you'll be a worthy addition to the school. You want to tell them the why of your life and how your experiences have led you to the point in your life where you want to go to law school.

What if the things that make you diverse are the experiences/things that have led you to the point where you want to go to law school?

That's fine, I'd say. You will want to make sure your PS is flawless, though, since you won't have the extra space of a DS to tell your story.

• madinastatemadinastate Alum Member
    16 karma

@goingfor99th said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@goingfor99th said:

That's fine, I'd say. You will want to make sure your PS is flawless, though, since you won't have the extra space of a DS to tell your story.

Ya I my PS is flawless and does tell my story and experience of being a minority and the reason I want to go to law school. My DS, tbh, isn't as well written either, so I don't want it to take away from my PS.

• KayyyyyyyKayyyyyyy Free Trial Member
    346 karma

Someone posted here recently that you can't write your way into law school but you can write your way out. Idk how true that is, but if you feel like a DS wouldn't pack a punch or bring something new to the mix, or if you feel like it's not so well written and you aren't planning to drastically improve it, better to leave it out! Submitting a DS itself isn't what can affect admissions - it's the content of it. If the content is covered in your PS, then no need. Good luck! Happy to look over your essays if you want another set of eyes!