Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comprehension "organization" problem

Does anyone have any tips for Reading Comprehension problems that state "Which one of the following most accurately describes the contents of this passage?" For example, Prep Test 29, October 1999, Section II, Problem 5, I am struggling with distinguishing which answer is correct when it gives various organization examples... Why answer "A" versus the rest. I know Prep Test 29 is an older one so if anyone has a newer preptest and wants to use that as an example, it would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Comments

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

I first really struggled with organization questions, and then it clicked for me. Each phrase is (roughly) tied in with one paragraph. So I would take the first phrase of each AC and compare it to the passage.

For example, in 29.2.5, each AC begins with the same phrase. Cool, we know the passage must do that. I would then go through and make sure that each phrase was correspondent to an exact place in the text. It's also important to be able to distinguish between "introduces" "analyzes" "defines" etc. This is only going to come from practice. If you're continually having trouble with these types of questions, I would create a "bank", where you can go back and determine how the LSAT uses "introduces" differently than, say, articulates.

This is a common question in RC, and once you get the hang of it can be fairly easy. To me, it all came down to tying each phrase in with a specific word/phrase in the passage.

• RuthlessRuthieRuthlessRuthie Alum Member
    9 karma

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time