Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scholarships

LsatkayyLsatkayy Alum Member
in General 162 karma

Is there a portion of the application process where you apply for scholarships? Or do schools look at your score and make that decision

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

For the schools that give need based aid, there's separate apps to fill out. Other named scholarships you must apply for, but most schools just look at your numbers and make their decision that way. Any particular school/scholarship that you're wondering about?

• LsatkayyLsatkayy Alum Member
    162 karma

Mostly Canadian schools. I didn’t do my research on the scholarships they offered but I also didn’t see any form when I was filling out applications

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Lsatkayy said:
    Mostly Canadian schools. I didn’t do my research on the scholarships they offered but I also didn’t see any form when I was filling out applications

Oh ok. I actually know next to nothing about Canadian schools and their scholarships. Definitely research each school specifically to see what you have to do to be considered.

Good luck

• LsatkayyLsatkayy Alum Member
    162 karma

Thanks. If anyone knows any further info, feel free to leave some gems

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

@Lsatkayy I think most schools will just give you a scholarship offer a few months after admitting you/right when they admit you.

I know Cornell has a merit application after you've been admitted though, but it's more of something you fill out that says "I would like to be considered for merit based scholarships."

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

Slightly different question but in the same ballpark: I've seen different scholarship amounts for similar LSAT/GPA combinations. Is this due to softs mainly (excluding URM's)?

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    @Lsatkayy I think most schools will just give you a scholarship offer a few months after admitting you/right when they admit you.

I know Cornell has a merit application after you've been admitted though, but it's more of something you fill out that says "I would like to be considered for merit based scholarships."

More red tape by Cornell. Who would not want to be considered for merit based scholarships??? Sounds like a really silly question.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@akeegs92 said:
    Slightly different question but in the same ballpark: I've seen different scholarship amounts for similar LSAT/GPA combinations. Is this due to softs mainly (excluding URM's)?

That likely accounts for some of them for sure.

1723 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@akeegs92 said:

What would be some other reasons? I'm mainly referring to law school numbers' data base. Just curious because the consistency of scholarship amounts don't always make sense between two similar candidates.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@akeegs92 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@akeegs92 said:

What would be some other reasons? I'm mainly referring to law school numbers' data base. Just curious because the consistency of scholarship amounts don't always make sense between two similar candidates.

Some schools also have need based aid. For merit scholarships there are also scholarships for specific URMs, first gen students, those pursuing public interest, etc. You also have to consider that some people negotiate their scholly amounts and end up with more $ than those with similar numbers.

1723 karma

Ahhh....forgot about negotiating. That all makes sense. Thanks for the input!

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

@uhinberg said:

@"Paul Caint" said:

More red tape by Cornell. Who would not want to be considered for merit based scholarships??? Sounds like a really silly question.

Yeah who knows dude haha. They may do it so the scholarship committees don't have to waste time coming up with offers for students who aren't interested enough to even apply.