Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Admission Tip

Hey all I've been thinking of my application process and I wanted to make a post about what I believe is one of the most important factors concerning the acceptance to my top choice!

I sent out my applications on January 2nd. I send an email to my top choice the next day requesting an interview. I did not hear back for over a week, but eventually the admissions office was happy to set up an interview for me that would take place later that week.

During the interview, I was asked a host of questions concerning why law school, what do I want to do in law school, various aspects of my employment, aspects of my essays, and other "standard" interview questions. I think the greatest thing I took from my interview and the biggest piece of advice I can give someone is that ALWAYS ask for an interview whenever possible, especially to your top choices. I was able to talk about myself other than what was on my application, which without an interview is the be all end all for the admissions committee. There was a confusing aspect on my employment history that was necessarily the easiest the explain on my resume and I was asked about it and I was able to give a coherent answer concerning it.

Another big takeaway from my interview is that I got to tell a specific story (I was asked a questions about leadership/working in a team) that I did not write about in any of my essays nor was readily apparent from the resume (nor could it have been since it was an isolated incident). My interviewer was thoroughly surprised a this answer and reacted very positively to it since she even told me she thought I was going to talk about something in one of my essays.

So always ask for an interview whenever possible! I was accepted one week after my interview took place!

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

Thank for the tip! I really liked what you wrote and I plan to do this when I apply to law schools.

Congratulations on getting admitted to your top choice! :smiley:

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

I have an in person meeting/interview with a law school next Friday! I am super excited about it.

My applications are all on hold right now though because of a mistake on my transcripts....yikes! I want that taken care of before I ask for anything else lol....

Congrats on getting in!

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

Would schools do this if they typically don't include interviews in their admissions process? And how did you ask them (i.e. Can I have an in person admissions interview?)?

• nicholasthomas127nicholasthomas127 Alum Member
    458 karma

@akeegs92 said:
    Would schools do this if they typically don't include interviews in their admissions process? And how did you ask them (i.e. Can I have an in person admissions interview?)?

I basically introduced myself and asked if there was anything else besides what was contained in my application that could be useful to the admissions committee.

Then I asked for an interview. This is exactly what I wrote in my email: "I am also inquiring if the Admissions Office/Committee offers interviews either in person or digitally. Thank you for you time and consideration."

And I don't really have a concise answer for schools that don't include interviews. I would say ask any way since there would be no harm in doing so. Who knows, maybe they'll see something in your application that would make them extend an interview invitation to you. When the school emailed me back, they said that they do interviews on a case by case basis so you just asking could be the best thing. Hope this helps!

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

@nicholasthomas127 said:

I basically introduced myself and asked if there was anything else besides what was contained in my application that could be useful to the admissions committee.

Then I asked for an interview. This is exactly what I wrote in my email: "I am also inquiring if the Admissions Office/Committee offers interviews either in person or digitally. Thank you for you time and consideration."

And I don't really have a concise answer for schools that don't include interviews. I would say ask any way since there would be no harm in doing so. Who knows, maybe they'll see something in your application that would make them extend an interview invitation to you. When the school emailed me back, they said that they do interviews on a case by case basis so you just asking could be the best thing. Hope this helps!

Yes this helps a lot! This is a great idea! I definitely will consider doing this if possible during the application cycle this fall!

• JerryClarke242JerryClarke242 Alum Member
    602 karma

I didn't know you could ask for an interview! Wow! Looks like there's hope for me after all. :smiley:

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

This is great advice! Can't wait to use it next cycle

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Can't hurt to ask! I think that's great advice re: asking for interviews.

Anyway, congrats on getting into your dream school :)

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

GREAT Tips! Thanks!!

• smtaylor1217smtaylor1217 Free Trial Member
    55 karma

@nicholasthomas127 did you do this for all schools you applied to? Or only schools that state they offer interviews by on a case-by-case basis/ don't mention interviews at all on their admissions pages?

I am wondering if it would reflect poorly to request an interview from a school that explicitly states in their Admissions FAQ they do not hold interviews as part of the admissions process, or that interviews are invite only.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

@nicholasthomas127, Really happy you got admitted and glad you found a strategy for increasing communications with them.

• MayraSARMayraSAR Member
    edited January 2018 20 karma

Great advice! Congratulations on getting into your dream school!

• DByrne07DByrne07 Core Member
    279 karma

What were your numbers - if they aren't high enough (i.e. at least above 25%), do you think they'd still give you an interview?