Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting Finding for MSS Q-Type Variants

In the MSS question sets, I found two interesting question stems. Even though they’re both categorized broadly as MSS questions, I found some nuances for each of them that might be helpful for shaving off time. If you find a flaw in my reasoning, please point it out!

Here are the two question stems and my comments for each:

1) “The statements above, if true, serve LEAST well as evidence for which one of the following?

-    Correct answer not supported; every other answer at least a little bit supported
   -    In the videos, JY compares this to an MSS except question, where the incorrect answer choices each have a ton of 
            support

2) “Which one of the following is LEAST compatible with the information given in the stimulus?

-    Correct answer not supported (contradicts, even); every other answer compatible, but not necessarily supported (Why? 
            Because they could be irrelevant and still be compatible)

SO, why does this matter?

-    In a “serve LEAST well as evidence” question, each one of the incorrect answer choices must be relevant to the stimulus 
            in some way. If it’s not relevant, then you know it’s the right answer choice.
   -    In a “LEAST compatible” question, an incorrect answer choice does not have to be relevant to the passage. Don’t just 
            choose it because it’s irrelevant.

For examples of each q-stem, see: lsat 25.s2.q19 & lsat 35.s4.q22

Comments

• edited January 2018 93 karma

Concise summary:

1. MSS

• CA: Supported
      • IAs: Not supported
    2. MSS X

• CA: Not supported
      • IAs: Well supported
    3. MSS LEAST evidence

• CA: Not supported
      • IAs: At least a little supported
    4. MSS LEAST compatible

• CA: Not supported (contradict)
      • IAs: Not necessarily supported (could be irrelevant)
  • MangojuulpodMangojuulpod Member
    6 karma

I love you. Thank you