Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading the Question Stems First?

JerryClarke242JerryClarke242 Alum Member
edited February 2018 in Reading Comprehension 602 karma

Hi everyone,

So I was working on an RC passage today and after reading it once, I got that frustrating feeling like I needed to read the whole thing again. Before I did though, I thought to myself "Why do I spend time underlining and things that may or may not be important when I get to the questions?". When I do get to the questions, I usually end up going back to the passage anyway because it isn't until after I read the questions that I truly know what the test writer wants from me. So would it be better just to read the questions first? With RC you have to be able to cut through superfluous info, but a lot of time I am unable to distinguish between necessary and unnecessary info until I read the questions and know what I am supposed to be looking for.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited February 2018 23929 karma

No, because the questions are all pretty standard and you should actually have a good idea of what the test writers want from you; main point, author's opinion on what's being discussed, structure/function of each paragraph, etc.

The passages are also very short. There isn't really much superfluous info. You need to be reading it all carefully and taking it all in. The test writers design these passages so you can't just go hunting for answers like an SAT passage.

But I'm a believer that one should try things out on RC and see what works for them. I say try out reading the questions first and see if that helps you at all.

• JerryClarke242JerryClarke242 Alum Member
    602 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    No, because the questions are all pretty standard and you should actually have a good idea of what the test writers want from you; main point, author's opinion on what's being discussed, structure/function of each paragraph, etc.

The passages are also very short. There isn't really much superfluous info. You need to be reading it all carefully and taking it all in. The test writers design these passages so you can't just go hunting for answers like an SAT passage.

But I'm a believer that one should try things out on RC and see what works for them. I say try out reading the questions first and see if that helps you at all.

You raise some good points, so I no longer feel like deviating from the norm, at least in this instance. Thanks Alex.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited February 2018 23929 karma

@JerryClarke242 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

You raise some good points, so I no longer feel like deviating from the norm, at least in this instance. Thanks Alex.

No problem, brother :smile:

602 karma

@"Alex Divine" what day this week works for you btw?

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    edited February 2018 3279 karma

Jerry, I don't think it's helpful with the exception of comparative passages. With comparative passages, I'll do a quick scan to see which of the passages I'll start with. When I do that, I'm not paying much attention to what the question is asking though.

602 karma

@10000019 said:
    Jerry, I don't think it's helpful with the exception of comparative passages. With comparative passages, I'll do a quick scan to see which of the passages I'll start with. When I do that, I'm not paying much attention to what the question is asking though.

Noted.