PT83.S2.Q27 - Which one of the following is implied by Gilman's

mttsuddarthmttsuddarth Free Trial Member
edited February 2018 in Reading Comprehension 9 karma

Hello,

Can someone help explain to me why A is correct and not E? From my perspective, the passage never says that certain qualities (those of men) are detrimental, just that they can no longer be the society's primary qualities and that women need to have an equal role in society from here on out. That perspective lead me to answer E, since if women are inevitably going to become more and more essential in society, than those qualities that they possess will be too.

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I think you answered why it was correct in your own post. If 'A' is preventing you from doing 'XYZ', then it's fair to infer that 'A' is detrimental to 'XYZ'.

• mttsuddarthmttsuddarth Free Trial Member
    9 karma

But it never explicitly states that 'A' is preventing "XYZ", just that "XYZ" needs to become more prominent which is exactly what E says. So why is E wrong?

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

My original response may have been confusing as I tried to recall the question from memory. Looking at it again, I suggest you reread lines 49 to 56. It doesn't have to be explicitly stated. The question is asking for an inference. That being said, I think it's implicitly implied. The "required the restoration of balance" means that the 'A' is hindering 'XYZ' being achieved.

Is that more clear? If not, I'm sure JY will get to your question.

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14050 karma

@10000019 Good response! And since I agree, I'll just reiterate the points you already made.

This is an inference question, not a what was stated question so if you go hunting for the text, you won't find it. You will, however, find text that supports drawing (A) as an MSS answer. The lines you cite are right.

Regarding (E), "inevitably" makes the answer not supported. If it were inevitable, then why is Gilman doing anything at all? Just sit back, relax, enjoy the fireworks.

• mttsuddarthmttsuddarth Free Trial Member
    9 karma

Got it! Thank you both. With the information that you both gave and some time to think it over I understand now.