Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feb 10th LSAT in San Francisco

PapiKeithPapiKeith Alum Member
in General 5 karma

Hey all. Is anybody else taking the Feb 10 LSAT in San Francisco? What do you plan on doing with your cell phone? I assume most people just leave them in their cars, but I don't have a car and am on my bike. Would anybody be down to let me stash a small bag in their car before the test and then pick it up after? It would make my life way easier and would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

See if there's a security office where you're taking the test. They might hold it for you.

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

Turn it off. Leave it in your jacket pocket. Don't take it out until you leave the test center.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@StephenASmith said:
    Turn it off. Leave it in your jacket pocket. Don't take it out until you leave the test center.

Likely won't get caught, but is it worth the risk?

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I vote for being on the safe side and not bringing it into the test center. You don't want to be flagged. One thing you may be able to do is use the protor's phone after the test for a quick call. However, I like the idea of leaving it with security if there's an opportunity for this.

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

@10000019 said:

@StephenASmith said:

Likely won't get caught, but is it worth the risk?

No risk as long as OP doesn't take it out

5254 karma

The thing is it's so easy to have a phone addiction issue and a reflex to look at it at idle moments. And what if they look at people's belongings like they do before a flight? I just think avoiding as many hassles as possible is probably safest.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited February 2018 3652 karma

@StephenASmith said:

Not a good idea bc they do thoroughly search you. They don’t pat you down (at least at my center they didnt) but they will ask if you have anything in your pockets and if it appears like you have something in your pocket they will ask you to remove it. Leave your phone at home, take an uber there, ask someone if you can borrow their phone after the exam so you can log on to your uber acct to get home. Proctors won’t hold your phone for you and there won’t be any security there. Even if there was security and they offered to hold your phone, it’s not in their job description to hold your phone so they’re under no obligation to keep it safe and they could easily just steal it. It would suck to be like, banned from taking the LSAT or have legal action taken bc they thought you were trying to take pics of the exam.

edited February 2018 5254 karma

@"surfy surf" is spot-on with these observations, I think.

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

This policy is so annoying...both because it is outdated and also because it seems to be interpreted differently depending on the testing center/proctors. When I tested in September, I had to leave my phone at the hotel I was staying at and walk 20 minutes to the testing center because I too feared I wouldn't be able to even hold it in my jacket. When I got there, no one even asked about our phones or our pockets, they just directed us to a coat room to hang our things and it seemed like a majority of the test takers had their phones on them.

Obviously the official rules are clear on this matter... you aren't supposed to have your phone at all. So if you want to risk it by turning it off and stowing it in a deep pocket or something, I guess you will have to accept the possibility that this could backfire. Have you looked up info about the testing center? Like if there is a place for you to store your belongings, etc?

• rebecciusrebeccius Alum Member
    45 karma

I don't mind this policy. I wrote the December exam, and left my phone at home. It wasn't a big deal. Then again, I went through my entire undergrad pre-iPhone era, so I remember the days when we had to plan things ahead ;-) I don't think the policy is outdated at all, if anything, it's more relevant now than ever before. If they didn't have this policy, someone's phone would inevitably go off in the testing room. I can't remember the last concert I played/attended, where this didn't happen. Bring a quarter for a phone call, cash for a cab, or write down bus directions to get home. It'll be okay. And good luck Saturday!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Unless you do find someone who will stow your bag in a car for you (and good thinking, checking here!), I would not advise you to bring it into the room. If you're biking, you have your transportation. So it would be best to leave the phone at home. Write down a few numbers on paper that you can keep with you in case of emergency, and maybe there is a phone somewhere at the testing center you could use if that need came up. But it would absolutely be best to leave it at home. Yes, you could probably get away with it off in a pocket. But if for any reason it was discovered, the consequences are big. It's just not worth it, unless there is some super important reason you absolutely need it. Otherwise, leave it at home.