Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Late "Why School X"?

First congrats to everybody who got into their dream school, received the massive LSAT score you all deserve, or just survived another week at the job you can't wait to leave behind!

I'm curious about whether it would be wise to submit a late addenda to the effect of a Why School X essay. I applied to Virginia at the end of November, have been UR1 since mid December with no word since then. Virginia is one of my top 3-4 choices and I'm a splitter, so I could reasonably fall into the admit, yield protect, or ding categories, especially in this volatile cycle. I've heard advice saying a late Why School X essay can help convince a school that you're serious about them, but also caution against. The reason against being that if I were wait listed next week, I wouldn't have much material to write about. I'm also curious if such a late addenda would delay a decision?

I guess any advice, hearsay or personal experience would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I would send it in now. Also if you live in the area or are willing to travel, you should consider officially visiting the campus.

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

I'd send it. I'm not a splitter, but I think having a Why X for almost every app really helped me.

Your Why X and your LOCI can be different if you do a lot of research. Just keep both focused, honest, and specific. Happy to read over a draft if you want another set of eyes

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

It couldn't hurt.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited March 2018 3652 karma

Maybe write both a Why X and an LOCI now. If you need to send an LOCI in the future, you won't have to worry about having exhausted your sucking up to the school ideas in your Why X. The LOCI could include half the things that you like about the school and the Why X the other half.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

Thanks guys, good advice. @calcal101 I might take you upon that offer once I finish polishing it up!

1465 karma

My main concern is that they'll have to reevaluate my application or in some way push back my decision. Is that not a legitimate concern?

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@tylerdschreur10 said:
    My main concern is that they'll have to reevaluate my application or in some way push back my decision. Is that not a legitimate concern?

Well if it would have been a waitlist and the reevaluation turns it into an acceptance that would be a good thing.

If they were about to accept you and got a essay from you about how you liked there school, I can't imagine them deciding to waitlist or reject you even if they had to read a new thing.

I don't think wny schools are going to move you to the back of the line and pretend you hadn't applied. I think any additional wait based on the Why X essay will be minimal.

1465 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

@tylerdschreur10 said:

Well if it would have been a waitlist and the reevaluation turns it into an acceptance that would be a good thing.

If they were about to accept you and got a essay from you about how you liked there school, I can't imagine them deciding to waitlist or reject you even if they had to read a new thing.

I don't think wny schools are going to move you to the back of the line and pretend you hadn't applied. I think any additional wait based on the Why X essay will be minimal.

Appreciate the input, that makes sense. I think I'll go for it, minimal risk, solid reward!