Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NA help please

TheBatmanTheBatman Alum Member
edited March 2018 in Logical Reasoning 255 karma

Admin note: copyright issue

I don't get how both these answers are saying different things. I think they are both NA, but apparently the first answer is not a NA.

How is the first answer not NA? And is there a difference between these two answers in what they are saying?

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    edited March 2018 3197 karma

I believe the issue here is the negation.

All goes to not all not none

So anything would be not everything....

Vs

Some becoming none.

That's where I see the difference.

So as you said:
    1.) "Anything that is an effective approach for accomplishing a gaol is also a fun approach for accomplishing that goal."

Would be Negated: Not everything that is an effective approach for accomplishing a goal is also a fun approach for accomplishing that goal.

Or

It's not the case that anything that is an effective approach for accomplishing a goal is also a fun approach for accomplishing that goal.

2.) "Some activities that are effective are fun"

Negated: No activity that is effective is fun

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited March 2018 1804 karma

@TheBatman said:
    1.) "Anything that is an effective approach for accomplishing a gaol is also a fun approach for accomplishing that goal."
    Negated: Nothing that is an effective approach for accomplishing a gaol is also a fun approach for accomplishing that goal.

The correct way to negate that would be "not everything," not "nothing."

I don't get how both these answers are saying different things. I think they are both NA, but apparently the first answer is not a NA.

How is the first answer not NA? And is there a difference between these two answers in what they are saying?

The first statement is a universal statement that encompasses all effective approaches, and the second an existential statement that includes some effective approach(es).

The first statement is not necessary assumption because "not all effective approaches for accomplishing a goal are also fun" could still mean that some effective approach(es) for accomplishing a goal is (or are) also fun. Negating the first statement doesn't utterly cripple the argument, so it's not a necessary assumption.

• mattnawmattnaw Member
    93 karma

Answer choice 1 is sufficient not necessary.
    It is too strong. It doesn’t have to be that ALL As are Bs, just that some A’s are B’s for the argument to potentially work. The negation of AC1 allows for some effective approaches to be fun, so negating AC1 doesn’t destroy the argument.

Answer choice 2 is necessary because the negation of some is none. If no effective approaches are fun, the argument doesn’t work

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited March 2018 3072 karma
    1. all effective are fun
      negation: not all effective are fun

2. some effective are fun
      negation: no effective are fun

This discussion has been closed.