Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Working and the struggle of Waiting

mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
edited March 2018 in General 891 karma

Is anyone else feeling this way? I’m working a 9-5 job and am increasingly feeling unsatisfied with it. Just feeling like I’m in limbo and going crazy while I wait for Law School moves for next year. Literally can’t wait till I quit this place! I’m frustrated because I need the money but can’t leave since I’ve only a few more months to go...but man this place drives me crazy

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

I feel you. While I love my job, the anxiety of waiting on school is pretty intense.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

I'm exactly the same. Specially since I work in the legal field - DAILY I get asked which school I'm going too.

As a splitter I probably won't even know where I'm going until August (stupid wait-lists) and that makes it even worse...How am I suppose to deal with housing and moving, and quitting and ahhhhh man this sucks.

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

I’m in a law firm too! I get asked all the time and I get so nervous because I don’t want to broadcast rejections! I’m so done with this place though. I’m relatively entry level but one of the busiest paralegals in the department. Lots of HR issues too but just feels like it would be a bad time to leave considering School coming up

13286 karma

@mcglz_64 said:
    I’m in a law firm too! I get asked all the time and I get so nervous because I don’t want to broadcast rejections! I’m so done with this place though. I’m relatively entry level but one of the busiest paralegals in the department. Lots of HR issues too but just feels like it would be a bad time to leave considering School coming up

Lol I feel it, I'm actually just more annoyed that I might be pushing on waitlist's until August. How am I suppose to plan (maybe moving across the entire country) in like a week? lol

891 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@mcglz_64 said:

Lol I feel it, I'm actually just more annoyed that I might be pushing on waitlist's until August. How am I suppose to plan (maybe moving across the entire country) in like a week? lol

Ya that’s def a worry! I saw Spivey’s article about someone getting into Harvard in JULY like what the what! I’m hoping to move to Boston for law school. I’m from DC. Wahhhh

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Honestly I hadn't really had any trouble with the waiting because I've been soooo freaking busy. Was a bridesmaid in my roommate's wedding, then had to find a new apartment and move, had jury duty, the flu... it's been nonstop for months. Finally... FINALLY... I'm past all my hard deadlines. And now suddenly the anxiety ramped up and I'm there with you guys, wanting to check my status checkers every hour... ugh, free time has definitely been both a pro and a con haha.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

I'm actually grateful for work, otherwise I would be one hundred percent losing my mind! I enjoy my job, theres just no real future. I finished all my apps at the end of december, and so far I have 2 accepts, 2 WL, and 2 dings. Plus 10 still waiting, expecting a lot of movement in the next 4 weeks!!

8392 karma

I got notified of a weird discrepancy in one of my apps. For some reason, the school says they don't have my LSAT score. I had to make about 6 phone calls to both LSAC and the school until the school finally said they were in touch with LSAC and would resolve it soon. I've been losing my effing mind wanting them to fix it, and honestly, I'm probably not even going to go to that school hahaha. That's the kicker - I think it's just really my anxiety having an outlet that's making me freak out about it. It's a great school, but I think for financial reasons it's likely not a good fit in the end. But by the way I reacted to this, you'd think it's my #1 hahaha. Basically, I know I need to just calm the hell down hah.

https://media.giphy.com/media/1FMaabePDEfgk/giphy.gif

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I feel almost the opposie. I'm still in undergrad and my job is through the university too. We are off for Spring Break and the lack of distractions from the waiting is killing me. I'm still glad it's break, but barely.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

I’m trying to figure out how to compartmentalize all this. I’ve kinda put my life on hold, but I’m realizing that once this is over with it’s just going to be one horrible thing after the next: moving across the country to a strange city is next up. If I can’t figure out how to live life a little as I go it’s just never going to happen. So right now I’m trying to do one thing every day. Maybe I’ll go play some tennis later today. Small but tangible steps. Add up enough steps and I’ll have gotten somewhere!

13286 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    I got notified of a weird discrepancy in one of my apps. For some reason, the school says they don't have my LSAT score. I had to make about 6 phone calls to both LSAC and the school until the school finally said they were in touch with LSAC and would resolve it soon. I've been losing my effing mind wanting them to fix it, and honestly, I'm probably not even going to go to that school hahaha. That's the kicker - I think it's just really my anxiety having an outlet that's making me freak out about it. It's a great school, but I think for financial reasons it's likely not a good fit in the end. But by the way I reacted to this, you'd think it's my #1 hahaha. Basically, I know I need to just calm the hell down hah.

Yep I know that feeling. The LSAC is a disorganize, pile of poop. They know it too, and just don't care. As someone who went through similar pain I know how bad it feels...

We just gotta breath!

8392 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Leah M B" said:

Yep I know that feeling. The LSAC is a disorganize, pile of poop. They know it too, and just don't care. As someone who went through similar pain I know how bad it feels...

We just gotta breath!

Just found out that they fixed it, which is great. The only bummer is that the school has had my app for a month without reviewing it (normal decision time on LSN is 2-3 weeks, so it's definitely been bogged down because of this). It's frustrating to get it pushed back, basically as if I turned my app in a month later than I really did, through no fault of mine. Sigh. But like I said, at least it's a school that's probably not going to work out anyway.

Now back to freaking out about the rest of my apps haha...

13286 karma

@"Leah M B" How's the rest of the cycle been treating you? I'm a freaking wait-list king right now with only one (anticipated, expected and non-shocking) Harvard rejection lol

I'm 0-1-3 so far for my applications. You?

891 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    @"Leah M B" How's the rest of the cycle been treating you? I'm a freaking wait-list king right now with only one (anticipated, expected and non-shocking) Harvard rejection lol

Ackk! When? Just today? (Re Harvard)

13286 karma

@mcglz_64 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

Ackk! When? Just today? (Re Harvard)

Yesterday haha but with a 2.9 gpa it’s not a shock haha

891 karma

But still! Wait does this mean your GPA was never fixed by LSAC?? Ugh. I’m sorry @LSATcantwin

13286 karma

@mcglz_64 said:
    But still! Wait does this mean your GPA was never fixed by LSAC?? Ugh. I’m sorry @LSATcantwin

Haha the LSAC and I are still fighting it out. I know they are wrong. I just couldn’t keep my applications on hold any longer so I told the schools to please move forward.

edited March 2018 8392 karma

@LSATcantwin So far I'm in at 2. WUSTL and a local, low-ranked school (like, sub 100 rank). Silence on everything else but I didn't get any apps in until the end of January, and a couple in mid-February, sigh. I'm expecting majority of the rest will be WL and dings. I'm thinking like 95% chance at this point that I'm going to re-apply next cycle. My apps were just too late in this very competitive year to make anything happen. I got a great scholarship at WUSTL which is awesome, but I think I'm going to be WL and dinged at a lot of schools I might have otherwise gotten into, so it's really hard to pull the trigger on WUSTL feeling like I shot myself in the foot with so many other schools.

13286 karma

@"Leah M B" Oh man I feel it. If I didn't have so much pressure to go to law school this fall I'd 100% wait. It'd let me figure crap out with the LSAC, allow me to fix some other small problems with my applications, and probably get me a better outcome all the way around. The WL at U.Mich at least makes me feel a little better. I've talked to some alumni and heard nothing but great things about that school. They're also ranked fairly high, so I am really considering pursuing them as hard as I can.

I'm still waiting on a ton of schools though so my cycle is still way up in the air lol

8392 karma

@LSATcantwin Seriously, Michigan has kinda crept up on my preferences too. It sounds like a great place. And you should be SO stoked on that, from what I've seen Mich has been way more selective this year. I've seen a lot of folks getting dinged or WL'd that seemed like they would've been a sure thing. You should be SO PROUD of getting on that WL!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    @LSATcantwin So far I'm in at 2. WUSTL and a local, low-ranked school (like, sub 100 rank). Silence on everything else but I didn't get any apps in until the end of January, and a couple in mid-February, sigh. I'm expecting majority of the rest will be WL and dings. I'm thinking like 95% chance at this point that I'm going to re-apply next cycle. My apps were just too late in this very competitive year to make anything happen. I got a great scholarship at WUSTL which is awesome, but I think I'm going to be WL and dinged at a lot of schools I might have otherwise gotten into, so it's really hard to pull the trigger on WUSTL feeling like I shot myself in the foot with so many other schools.

WUSTL will still be there next year!

Also you never know you could still get some other good results this year.

@"Leah M B" @LSATcantwin
    If I end up at Michigan which is looking increasingly likely, it will be nice to know that the two of you might be there too either this year or next year. Its also nice that your opinions of Michigan are as high as mine.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

I'm also leaning hard toward accepting $$ at UofM! Hope we all end up in the same section!

8392 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

@"Leah M B" said:

WUSTL will still be there next year!

Also you never know you could still get some other good results this year.

@"Leah M B" @LSATcantwin
    If I end up at Michigan which is looking increasingly likely, it will be nice to know that the two of you might be there too either this year or next year. Its also nice that your opinions of Michigan are as high as mine.

Thanks for the encouragement. I’m still holding out tiny hope that I’ll be surprised, but I’m very debt averse so it will be really determined by the scholarships that come in. Fingers crossed!

And yeah, Michigan wasn’t really on my radar originally but then I heard so many good things about it, and they also won me over in some of their generic communications too. I liked the friendly, casual tone of the emails and mailings I got, and have only heard that the campus is gorgeous, cost of living is low, and it has a collegial atmosphere. All great things in my opinion. And they have the great employment stats that live up to their ranking. I’m sure you’re going to love it there; that’d be awesome if our paths cross at some point!

You too @tylerdschreur10, Michigan seems like a great place, congratulations!! I’m jealous of folks who are making decisions right now, but so happy for you all! It’s so fun to see my “class” go from fellow LSAT studiers to placing those deposits!

edited March 2018 891 karma

Applied to UM at the suggestion of my boss. I wasn’t thinking of it either since it was a stretch for me but I met the Dean and spoke to their admissions office and I am super excited to hear back from them now. I agree that their generic communications have a great tone and humor to them and Dean Zearfoss is super intelleigent / helpful / relatable while still maintaining a tone of authority. Hard to explain. My boss is the same way to me. It’s an air that commands respect without being intimidating. It really makes me excited to move forward with UM if I’m lucky enough to. I’m super interested in their clinics too, so fingers crossed!!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

I'm anxious tooo, especially about how my housing is going to work out. When is everyone going to go apartment shopping around their law school?

8392 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    I'm anxious tooo, especially about how my housing is going to work out. When is everyone going to go apartment shopping around their law school?

Do you know where you’re going yet? How’s your cycle going?

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

Hey i'm deciding between illinois and uci. Illinois gave me alot more $$$ and their chicago placement is enticing haha. But uci's proximity to home and its clerkship numbers are also enticing as well..

8392 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

Hey i'm deciding between illinois and uci. Illinois gave me alot more $$$ and their chicago placement is enticing haha. But uci's proximity to home and its clerkship numbers are also enticing as well..

Nice! 2 very good options. I'm still waiting on Illinois, I heard there would be a wave soon so hopefully I'll be in that next one... and I applied to UCI too but suuuuuper late haha. So, who knows when I'll hear from them hah. But they both have impressive numbers. I think UIUC gets overlooked because there are so many Chicago law schools, but they have really good numbers. Cost of living at UIUC sure would be nice too! Unless you could live with parents/relatives or something for UCI. Cost of living in that area kind of terrifies me hah. But it's so gorgeous... definitely wouldn't mind some CA sun after 8 years back in the Northwest. :)

Good luck!

• zanesbitzanesbit Alum Member
    102 karma

It's 4am and I'm on this site seeking comfort...tells you how bad off I am. I regret taking the Feb test and having to wait. Not only do I need to know where I'm going, my kid's going to college, and I need to sell my house and move by August...and of the schools I've been accepted to a deposit is due April 2 and the other has admitted students day next month. I plan to work as long as possible, the debt is freaking me out and making me second guess everything. I do not want a $1400 a month loan repayment plan. Still waiting on like 8 decisions. :(