Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your BR process like?

WhatAmIEvenWhatAmIEven Alum Member
in General 102 karma

I have a google doc that is dedicated to BR. Depending on the question type I type up the necessary information in the document, for example if it's a flaw question I would write down the conclusion/MP, support, gap, answers analysis, and my final answer. I go through every question. I like it because it forces me to break down my thought process, but it takes a lot of time and I am just curious as to how other 7Sagers do it.

Comments

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

I do a similar thing except I write it out by hand in a notebook because I think that really forces me to come up with my thought process and go deeper through my analysis. It is supeeer time consuming though! But I keep telling myself it's worth it in the long run because it'll force me to get in the habit and internalize this process while doing the same thing. I also have an excel workbook just to keep a brief track of q-types that gave me trouble and why (grammar, support, etc).

• olepuebloolepueblo Alum Member
    235 karma

I like to annotate the test by underlining the conclusion and bracketing each indv. premise, not just the broad sections of support. I leave the ctxt aIone but am aware of it. I then try to understand how the indv premises and conclusion relate to one another. Drawing arrows between the elements gives me sort of an argument flow chart. From there, for all questions that are testing a deficiency in the argument (rather than argument part q’s), I try to state that deficiency in one form or another. It could be symbolic logic, written explanation, verbal explanation, drawing, and/or a counter example. For some reason I think using counterexample reasoning to highlight the deficiency is often the most productive (depending on the question type). I think it has to do with highlighting the flaw as well as reasoning to an example of the flaw which seems like more of a reasoning stretch.

I’m also in favor of br’ing all questions.

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

I start by only going over questions that i circled. I write out conclusion and premises. I then locate the problem and try to fit it in a cookiecutter format. After i locate the AC i think is correct i compare that to what i chose on the timed test. And if its different i write out why i changed AC and, if applicable, my faulty reasoning. If my BR choice matches my actual choice. I write out why i had any doubt to the correct Answer. I then go through ALL the questions from the whole test and fit them into a cookiecutter mold if possible. I make sure to go through ALL the AC and clearly articulate why they are wrong or right. I then mark the test. And look at what i got wrong. I then repeat the BR process over again using LSATHACKS or 7sage explanations for all the questions on the test. I then enter anything i got wrong into a spreadsheet. And anything i circled i take a picture of on my phone and move it into an LSAT folder. Which i review a week later.