Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will an offer from a lower rank school helps?

ArtoriusArtorius Alum Member
edited April 2018 in Law School Admissions 188 karma

Hi everyone,

I just received an offer from a lower rank school which I am willing to attend. However, I am still waiting for a response from a higher rank school which I really like but hasn't get back to me yet (not even waitlisted).

So I would like to know, will sending the higher rank school the offer from the lower rank school increase my chance of getting in, or will it help speed up their decision making?

Just so you know both schools are in Chicago.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I think this is where a LOCI (letter of continued interest) is appropriate. Have you written one yet?

A competing offer, in and of itself, wouldn't seem to strengthen your chances of admission so much as it strengthens your scholarship negotiation position following admission. But you could use it as an opportunity to convey your preference for their school (the school you haven't heard back from).

• ArtoriusArtorius Alum Member
    edited April 2018 188 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    I think this is where a LOCI (letter of continued interest) is appropriate. Have you written one yet?

A competing offer, in and of itself, wouldn't seem to strengthen your chances of admission so much as it strengthens your scholarship negotiation position following admission. But you could use it as an opportunity to convey your preference for their school (the school you haven't heard back from).

Yes, two days ago I have sent a very creative LOCI to the higher rank school, and their office of admission replied that they will notify the admissions committee of my strong continue interest.

Meanwhile, I would like to see if there is anything else I could do to increase my chances of admission, including send them the offer from the lower rank school (if it helps), or pay them a visit if it is not too late to do it now.

It may sound stupid but I am not thinking much about scholarship, I just want to get into a law school and start a new page of my life.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I think the time to mention the competing offer was in the LOCI. But a visit could give you an edge. Consider sending an email to the admissions office notifying them that you intend to visit and your interest in meeting with someone (briefly) while there. Even if you only introduce yourself, putting a face and an in-person impression to an application could be helpful.