Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rely on PT Retake Scores?

RiseandGrindRiseandGrind Alum Member
edited May 2018 in General 219 karma

Hi 7sagers,

I've taken every PT from PT 20 - PT 83 because I've been studying since December 2016. In order to keep studying, I've started re-taking PTs and am scoring substantially higher than when I first took them. This can obviously be attributed to the fact that they're retakes but I am not sure if I can entirely trust these high scores to reflect on test day. At this point I am going to take the test either in July or September as my 3rd take. Essentially what I'm wondering is, how much can I trust these PT scores? It is frustrating that I don't have a single fresh test to check my "true" progress, but I need to work with what I have. I could also take the PT's 20 and under, but I've heard the test has changed so much (gotten harder) since 1996 that I am unsure if that would also be a true reflection of my testing ability. Btw: I am aiming for 170 on the actual test and in these retakes I am hitting 168-170 consistently. Any input and advice is appreciated!

Comments

• Return On InferenceReturn On Inference Alum Member
    503 karma

How far apart are these retakes spaced? Honestly, if they're 1 year+ apart, I think they'd be fairly reliable. Do you feel like you remember the answers to any of the questions? Or do you go through the whole process for each question and find the correct answers how you would normally?

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

I think that these old tests can be reliable. But i'd be wary of a 168-170 average if you want to hit 170 on test day. For older tests and retakes, especially if you did intensive BR, you probably want to be hitting around 175 in your practice to be safe at 170 for test day.