Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have an odd Logical Indicator question

Henry AnHenry An Alum Member
edited May 2018 in Logical Reasoning 123 karma

Hi all!

In the phrase "It is the national government that must save the environment"

Why is it that "save the environment" is not the necessary condition?
and rather
"save the environment -> national government" is the correct logical translation to this sentence ??

Intuitively I can understand why,
but it would help greatly to hear a clear explanation of the usage of "must" in this sentence

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited May 2018 2531 karma

Our two ideas are: "save the environment" and "national government". Must introduces a necessary condition so we are left with:

"If you are a national government --> you save the environment"

I'm not sure why you think that the correct translation is the reversed one.

What you've written above - "If save the environment then you are a national government" is nonsensical. Your interpretation implies that national governments are the only ones that can save the environment. Certainly if I walk out into my backyard and magically save the environment I am not suddenly a government.The sentence actually implies that it is a duty of the national government to save the environment.

• Cofife88Cofife88 Member
    edited May 2018 90 karma

From my understanding of it, the phrase is saying that if the environment is to be saved, the national government must save it. The government is not necessarily saving the environment. If the environment has been saved, and, thus, the sufficient condition is triggered, then the national government must have saved it. So this would translate to:

The environment is saved —> The national government must have saved it

Under this analysis, the contrapositive would suggest that:

If the government did not save the environment—> the environment has not been saved

This contrapostive would suggest that it is not possible for any other group to save the environment except the national government

Hopefully my answer helps! Sorry it was a little drawn out. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or if I’m mistaken in my interpretation :)

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

My understanding is the same as Cofife. I think the key is in the grammar.

"It is the national government that must save the environment"

"It" at the beginning of the statement refers to saving the environment. What about saving the environment? Well the national government is the one to do it.

So if the environment is saved then we know it must have been the national government that did it. This is different than saying that "the national government did it" implying that saving the environment.

In lawgic it would be like this:
    SE -> NG
    /NG -> /SE

If the national government did not do it, then the environment will not be saved. I hate the other "it" because it also alludes to the idea of saving the environment. Grammar. Bah.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

"It is the national government that must..." Must indicates Necessary. So, the National Government becomes the necessary condition.

"...save the environment" is then the Sufficient.

That's how I read it, anyway :) It's a tricky worded phrase.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited May 2018 3652 karma

It is the national government that must save the environment.
    Can be read as: the national government is required to save the environment.
    In order to save the environment, the national government is necessary.
    Just replace must with “is necessary,” and ask —what is necessary? The national government.

• Henry AnHenry An Alum Member
    123 karma

Thank you everyone with the comments! It all helped greatly :)

• brigittebrigitte Free Trial Member
    432 karma

@Cofife88 said:
    From my understanding of it, the phrase is saying that if the environment is to be saved, the national government must save it. The government is not necessarily saving the environment. If the environment has been saved, and, thus, the sufficient condition is triggered, then the national government must have saved it. So this would translate to:

The environment is saved —> The national government must have saved it

Under this analysis, the contrapositive would suggest that:

If the government did not save the environment—> the environment has not been saved

This contrapostive would suggest that it is not possible for any other group to save the environment except the national government

Hopefully my answer helps! Sorry it was a little drawn out. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or if I’m mistaken in my interpretation :)

Is this from a real LSAT problem? If so can you please share which one. Thanks