MSS / Weakening

harrismeganharrismegan Member
edited October 2014 in Logical Reasoning 2074 karma
Right now I'm in the process of going through old material to improve my less-than-stellar LR sections.

It's interesting how going through old material can help you pick up on concepts that... you did learn, but never stuck.

For MSS (if anyone is having trouble). What was said was that.. usually... the wrong answer choices will be very conclusive or specific.
Whereas the right answer will be more general.

Example)
What is most strongly supported?
Jane likes pizza. She likes cheese and pepperoni a lot. She does not like peppers.

A) sometimes Jane likes cheese pizza.
B) Jane always buys cheese and pepperoni pizza.
C) Jane never buys pizza with cheese or peppers on it.
D) Jane really likes cheese sticks.

OK. Not the best at making LSAT questions. But, obviously A is correct. Why? Because it's more general. She likes pizza. She likes cheese. So, sometimes, she likes cheese pizza.
The fact that she likes cheese and pepperoni, doesn't mean she ALWAYS buys cheese and pepperoni pizza. That is way too conclusive, and would be hard to find support for.

Usually I go through, now, and cancel answers that include "All" "Always" ect. Which I know was taught to us, but I only picked up on it now.

For Weakening, again, we were taught that we should think three things:
1. Alternative Cause
2. Show a Coincidence
3. Show the reverse
Ok. But it didn't really click until now, and weakening were my WORST questions.

If we look at Q9 of the weakening set:

9. A running track with a hard surface makes for greater running speed than a soft one because even though step length is shorter on a hard surface, the time the runner's foot remains in contact with the running surface is less with a hard surface.

Ok. What's the conclusion: running track with a hard surface makes for greater running.
WHY? Because your foot is in contact with the surface less.

Ok. So then, in reference to above, you just simply ask yourself. What if something, aside from your foot touching the surface, made it better for you to run on the hard surface?

Answer choice C - hard surfaces enhance a runner's speed by making it easier for the runner to maintain posture that minimizes wind resistance.
This answer is another way to explain why the hard surface is great for running faster. Not necessarily your foot being in contact, something else!

I don't know.
These facts just dawned on me. But it makes me feel like I'm moving in the right direction!! I hope this helps other people.

Comments