PT33.S3.Q19 - raphaela: forcing people to help others is morally wrong

Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
edited January 2016 in Logical Reasoning 1049 karma
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-33-section-3-question-19/
I see why B is the best answer, but not 100 pct why it's right. Raphaela doesn't address this point specifically other than her umbrella statement that no government should redistribute.

But As I'm writing this, I see that's the point. She makes a broad statement, and Edward makes a generalization.

Choice D, which I originally posted is too broad to address Edward's argument.

I'm going to review Disagree Questions.

Comments

• chrijani7chrijani7 Alum Member
    827 karma
    Raphaela:
    (1) Forcing people to help others is morally wrong
    (2) Therefore, no government has the right to redistribute resources via taxation
    (3)Anyone who wants to help can do so voluntarily

Edward:
    (1) Governments do have THAT right (referential phrasing to the right to redistribute resources via taxation).

Raph is saying governments don't have the right because XYZ, and Edward is saying wait no they do have that right because XYZ.
    So they disagree on what governments have the right to do.

(B) any governments that permit emigration have the right to redistribute resources via taxation ( THIS IS EXACTLY what Edward said to counter Raphaela's statement that they don't have the right) Hence that is why it is the disagreement.

(D) This one is wrong because the scope of the disagreement is on whether governments have the right to redistribute not on whether taxation forces people to help others. Edward may agree with this, but still thinks government has the right we dont know his position.
  • Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
    1049 karma
    Thanks!

Thanks to your help I think i now found a simple way to confirm correct choices - Raph would STILL disagree with B and Edward would agree (simple, I know), but that's what it comes down to!