Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Claim vs Argument

TheLSATerTheLSATer Alum Member

On the LSAT is there a difference? I heard JY make a distinction in one of the videos (PT 57 explanations) and I am not sure if there is a major difference between the two. If you are asked to weaken or strengthen a claim, should it be treated the same way as an argument?

Thank you

Comments

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

From what I understand, a claim is more synonymous with the conclusion. An argument is both the premises and the conclusion. But when you are strengthening the claim, you are necessarily strengthening the argument because the argument is denied to help support some conclusion (and vice versa). Thus, it is more likely than not that the claim and argument are the same thing on the LSAT.

• jhbm_nycjhbm_nyc Alum Member
    568 karma

A claim is a statement that's not necessarily supported by a premise. For example, a stimulus can say, "Psychologists claim X. But they're wrong because Y." Here, the author's argument is disputing a claim. If you have say, "Psychologists claim X because Y. But they're wrong because Z," the author is presenting a counter-argument to other people's argument. I think the only time knowing the difference could matter is in argument part questions, some of which can get pretty technical with labeling parts of the stimulus.

• TheLSATerTheLSATer Alum Member
    137 karma

Thank you!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Yes, I think they're very similar and might have small differences in certain questions--a small number of them, probably, but the information in those questions would help provide direction.

• jhbm_nycjhbm_nyc Alum Member
    568 karma

In reviewing LR, I found one of the few questions that does test the difference between claim and argument: PT81.S3.Q21.