Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those not shooting for a 170 :)

jyarmojyarmo Alum Member
in General 350 karma

I am one of the older "wiser" (haha) LSAT takers and I started studying full time in October. I have been out of college for 30 years (yeah you read that right)... My goal was to score in the low 160's to get into my state law school that has great social justice / legal aid clinics and is the most affordable for me (I will have 2 kids in college in September!).

I was progressing steadily but then hit some crazy inconsistent scores in May with some of the later PT'S after hitting the low 160's a few times. I was slightly panicked and did not know what to expect sitting for June, but I managed to keep my wits about me and go in fairly focused. I did not hit my goal (just under) but kept the score to be sent with my super late application for this fall. Well, not only did I get in but with a hefty and totally unexpected merit scholarship. SO! All this to say a hearty thanks to 7 Sage - the curriculum is the best out there and the community is really an invaluable part of beating the head game that makes the LSAT such a brutal experience. And to those of you not shooting for a 170 or a T-14 school, keep at it and don't get discouraged when it all feels overwhelming and impossible. If I can do it, you definitely can do it. Shout out to the old-timers who like me are starting in September, good luck!

Comments

• kyoungy_kyoungy_ Live Member
    73 karma

Congratulations! I've been out of college for a while too, thank you so much for this encouraging post. And best of luck moving forward too!

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Oh wow!! Congratulations!! I've been out of school for about 27 years now ; ). So good to hear this story!! I was aiming for this fall too and applying after the June test but I never took June as I wasn't ready. It really bummed me out so much. I'm so glad your plan has worked for you though. I'm hoping and planning for Sept 2019 for me. And thank you for mentioning the score. Sometimes I feel that if I'm not going to a T14 or getting a 170+ that I'm just not going to be as good as those people. But I agree with you about some schools. My state schools are pretty good too and I'm praying to get a score high enough to get in. Congratulations again and thank you for sharing your story.

If ok, I would love to keep in touch to hear your experience in your first year - specially since we are older women folk ; ).

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

You are amazing!

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

AND a great example for your kids.

• jyarmojyarmo Alum Member
    350 karma

Thanks and @LCMama2017 - absolutely! DM me, I would LOVE to keep connected. The more support and the bigger the network the better! Good luck with the study slog. I was so sure I would be taking again in the fall, I'm still stunned I don't have to.

• PadawanPadawan Member
    91 karma

Wow. I've been out a while, too. This is awesomely inspiring. Thanks for sharing your very encouraging accomplishment. My chances of admission as older applicant still concerns me a bit, and even though 85 year-old Justice Ginsburg's presence on the Bench is always enough to sustain me as a mere mortal, your story is just as powerful!

• gkoskigkoski Alum Member
    106 karma

Congratulations! Stories like yours inspire me! I've been out of school for eleven years and sometimes I doubt whether I can still do this. Congrats for a merit scholarship! Any more tips ?!!!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

What a fantastic story! Thank you so much for sharing with us. So excited for you! Congratulations!!!

• 702 karma

That is amazing!!! What an inspiration! Thank you so much for sharing this with us!!! Best of luck to you in the fall.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

CONGRATS!!!

• gaflparalegalgaflparalegal Alum Member
    133 karma

Congratulations!!! Thank you for sharing, definitely needed to see this :-)

• jyarmojyarmo Alum Member
    350 karma

@gkoski said:
    Congratulations! Stories like yours inspire me! I've been out of school for eleven years and sometimes I doubt whether I can still do this. Congrats for a merit scholarship! Any more tips ?!!!

My only other tip would be to own it!:) I wrote my PS very focused on the path that took me here and how being 51 years old is exactly why this is the best time for me to do this. I also was sure the school I was applying to appreciated and had many career-changers and older students and I spoke to some, so I was sure it wasn't just spin.

Thanks again all!

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

Congratulations!! :smile: Best of luck in the fall!!

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    edited July 2018 1184 karma

Congrats , you will kill it at law school :).

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

Congratulations!! How wonderful for you and your family!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Congrats!!! Reading your story is great inspiration. I'm an older student who went back to college years later after I became a mom. I don't have the college-to-law-school gap, but I had one hell of a gap between high school and my Associates!
    I hope you consider blogging. I would love to keep up with your adventures.