Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BR 177, Timed 161- mostly problems in LR and RC

youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
in General 1755 karma

Hey all,

I just completed PT 51-- and I have a huge gap btw my Timed and BR Score. It seems I'm mostly struggling with LR and RC.

*LR
Section 1
Timed - 15/25
BR - 24/25

Section 2
Timed - 18/25
BR - 24/25

*RC
Section 3
Timed - 20/28
BR - 25/28

*LG
Section 4
Timed - 22/22

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated - especially with respect to LR and RC. Thank you so much!! Very grateful.

Comments

• Victoria.Victoria. Member
    553 karma

I'm in the same boat - with consistent gap across the 3 pts I've taken and almost exact same section breakdowns. Would love to hear any advice! My plan is to work on more timed section drills because I feel like timing is my biggest issue, but I plan on drilling by question type for LR as well to work on my fundamentals within a reasonable time frame.

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

Try to focus on the newer pts rc and lr is slightly different . As for timing alternate between timed , soft timed and untimed . Experiment with your approach and your skipping streatgy to see how you can maximize points . Most people have gaps between the two (time is a big factor of the lsat ) Victoria’s strategy is on point

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

That's great news and a great problem to have. Most students here advocate a skipping strategy that helps accelerate through difficult problems to not get sucked into the quicksand problems.

As for RC, try doing more work up front on the passage. Slow down, do the reading within 3:30-4:00 and have more work done up front. More work means more notations or markings pointing you to lists, key details, terminology, author's tone, etc.

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

@"Adam Hawks" said:
    That's great news and a great problem to have. Most students here advocate a skipping strategy that helps accelerate through difficult problems to not get sucked into the quicksand problems.

As for RC, try doing more work up front on the passage. Slow down, do the reading within 3:30-4:00 and have more work done up front. More work means more notations or markings pointing you to lists, key details, terminology, author's tone, etc.

Adam that’s correct - I learned the hard way more time on the passages is a better use of time

• Raychul123Raychul123 Member
    179 karma

I used to have the same problem with reading comprehension. My un-timed sections were near perfect, but timed I'd miss 5-6 questions. The thing that really helped, as someone stated above, was spending more time upfront really understanding the arguments and main points of different view points throughout the passage as well as understanding the function that each of the paragraphs play in the passage (paragraph with support for one side, paragraph summarizing a traditional approach or theory, etc). Doing this really allowed me to move through the questions much quicker and with increased accuracy. Also, I found that I was better able to really scrutinize answer choices until I was certain that I had the right one. For example, sometimes you'll get an answer choice where the first half of it sounds good, but the second half is a little out of scope or off point. By spending the time upfront and understanding the arguments, I was better able to identify these scope shifts and misquotes and eliminate incorrect answer choices more quickly. Hope this helps!