Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Asking for opinions

sarah1328sarah1328 Member
in General 9 karma

Hi-
I'm planning on taking the June 2019 LSAT and am trying to decide which materials to buy. I've taken 1 diagnostic test and scored a 152 on it, and am looking to score in the high 160s for the actual test. Starting in September I will be a full time undergrad student and so am considering in between the Premium package and the Ultimate package. My dad thinks that I should just get Premium that way if I dislike the course I can find a different one but if I like it then I can just extend it. I agree but also just don't know if I have the time during the semester to go through the full course. Any suggestions?

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Are you about to start your freshman year? Or are you transitioning from part time to full time undergrad study? If the former is the case, it is probably too early to begin studying for the LSAT. If I were you, I would focus on settling into college life and figuring out a study routine that allows you to maintain a high GPA. You can retake the LSAT or postpone it until you're ready, but you can't go back in time and erase less than ideal grades from your undergrad transcript. If you want to go to law school right after undergrad, the recommended time to take the LSAT is typically June of your junior year (this allows you to retake in September if necessary and still apply to law schools on time during the fall of your senior year of undergrad). If you start studying so far in advance, you risk burnout.

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

@MissChanandler said:
    Are you about to start your freshman year? Or are you transitioning from part time to full time undergrad study? If the former is the case, it is probably too early to begin studying for the LSAT. If I were you, I would focus on settling into college life and figuring out a study routine that allows you to maintain a high GPA. You can retake the LSAT or postpone it until you're ready, but you can't go back in time and erase less than ideal grades from your undergrad transcript. If you want to go to law school right after undergrad, the recommended time to take the LSAT is typically June of your junior year (this allows you to retake in September if necessary and still apply to law schools on time during the fall of your senior year of undergrad). If you start studying so far in advance, you risk burnout.

Agree ... speaking from experience

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

It is crucial to focus your GPA. You get roughly 3 shots at the LSAT and only one shot at your GPA.

• gkoebel1gkoebel1 Member
    122 karma

As I was in a very similar position as yourself not too long ago, the most important thing I would say is to not burn out ! I'm going into my senior year of undergrad and have been studying for the LSAT since December 2017. Between taking 15-16 credit hours a semester, studying a necessary amount of time to generate "A's" in those classes, and putting in 2-3 hours during the week and 4-5 on the weekends for the LSAT it can get BRUTAL. I personally planned on taking the June 2018 test initially and pushed it back to September 2018, even November 2018 if necessary. Just take your time and have fun with it ! I have made roughly a 15 point jump in the last seven months alone based off my diagnostic and I'm sure you can too ! Good Luck

• sarah1328sarah1328 Member
    9 karma

@MissChanandler said:

I defintely worded my original post poorly, I am actually a rising junior. I am most worried about not having time to dedicate to studying because although I very much enjoy figuring out logic games and LR questions, I would say that my weakness is in RC and I am already getting frustrated when doing practice sections.

• edited July 2018 702 karma

It is very difficult to study for the LSAT while taking undergrad classes, but everyone has a different situation. You are also stuck with your GPA for life. You might think that a couple Bs won't hurt you, but in the long run it does. Your LSAT score is something you can change and you can always retest and get a different score, but you can't get a different GPA. I would recommend focusing on your GPA and try to get the best grades you can get and put the LSAT on the back burner for now. If I could go back in time I would study for the LSAT the summer of my junior and senior year and take the LSAT during my senior year. Also, after you graduate you could always take some time off and study. It's awesome that you are getting a head start, but burnout is very real and happens quickly. I have the ultimate course and would highly recommend it. I am able to print out every prep test ever (I think) and comes with video explanations. Also, if I need to extend I can extend the course by however long I need (1 month....6 months). I don't know what their money back guarantee is or if 7sage has one. Best of luck to you!!!

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

I actually regret not studying the LSAT more in my junior year. A year ago, I expected that I’d be more than ready for the September exam. I was definitely wrong. Now that September is looming right around the corner, my lax study schedule has left me with the quite-real possibility of postponing for a year. If you don’t plan on studying that much during the school year, you don’t need anything more than premium.

However, I highly, highly recommend that you get the Ultimate+ package OR find a way to get all 1-35 logic games (correctly formatted) and fool-proof them over the course of the next year. It’s totally something you can do in 3-4 months in undergrad and it will be one less thing you have to worry about come the final studying crunch.

In terms of PTs, you don’t really need any more than the ones that the premium version includes. There are plenty of tests in there.

The truth is that I got the Ultimate+ package because I felt an extra few hundred bucks was a small price to pay for the best material available. We can spend $200+ for a single text book in undergrad and then go an entire semester without ever opening it. I use 7sage materials every single day. And the LG curriculum from U+ package seriously helped my score.