Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lower than My Diagnostic

mariev22mariev22 Member
in General 57 karma

Hi friends!

Trying to stay cheerful after my trainwreck of a practice test today. I’m wondering if any other folks saw a drop between their diagnostic test score abd their first practice test score (after completing the core curriculum).

I’m planning on taking the September test, but today’s results have me freaked out about whether I’ll be scoring where I want to be by test day.

I didn’t feel as alert/“on” during today’s test as I did for the diagnostic. I also think I was trying too hard to use things I learned from the CC that it slowed me down further. Timing was definitely a big issue as I didn’t finish any of the sections.

Words of wisdom/encouragement to help keep the hope alive will be greatly appreciated. :(

Comments

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

It definitely varies from person to person and from test to test , as the new pts are s bit diff. Your scores will increase once you master the material and work on building your own personal strategies based on your weaknesses and strengths, make sure to track your weaknesses and progress, best of luck

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

@mariev22 said:
    Hi friends!

Trying to stay cheerful after my trainwreck of a practice test today. I’m wondering if any other folks saw a drop between their diagnostic test score abd their first practice test score (after completing the core curriculum).

What you're describing sounds pretty typical for a lot of people.

Until the strategies you've learned become more intuitive, which comes with time and drilling, trying to implement the strategies is another thing that you have to consciousely think about while you're writing your test, causing you to move at a slower pace or second guess yourself on questions that before you might have had a gut reaction that proved to be correct.

That being said, continue with the strategies. Having a solid attack plan for each question-type is one of the most effective ways to avoid confusing score fluctuations as you continue to improve. Especially since many of the trap answer that the test writers plant are based on what might intuitively seem write, but is clearly wrong when considered more analytically.

So, don't be discouraged! :)

• mariev22mariev22 Member
    57 karma

@"paulmv.benthem" said:

@mariev22 said:
    Hi friends!

What you're describing sounds pretty typical for a lot of people.

Until the strategies you've learned become more intuitive, which comes with time and drilling, trying to implement the strategies is another thing that you have to consciousely think about while you're writing your test, causing you to move at a slower pace or second guess yourself on questions that before you might have had a gut reaction that proved to be correct.

That being said, continue with the strategies. Having a solid attack plan for each question-type is one of the most effective ways to avoid confusing score fluctuations as you continue to improve. Especially since many of the trap answer that the test writers plant are based on what might intuitively seem write, but is clearly wrong when considered more analytically.

So, don't be discouraged! :)

Thank you!

My disappointing results from my first post-CC PT sent me into a very dark place last night, but this morning I'm feeling determined to keep on going. It was a good wake up call that this will take A LOT of very hard work...

Thank you for the tips and reassurance :)