Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GRE Instead?

AidoeAidoe Free Trial Member
in General 236 karma

What are the prospects of getting admitted to a law school that accepts the GRE? Is it really likely someone with only a GRE score can get admitted?

Comments

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

An old friend of mine just got into Harvard with her GRE score... so, it's possible. If you're great at math and you're ok with applying only to schools who accept the GRE, take it instead.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited July 2018 1804 karma

I don't think we have enough data to say whether someone who has only GRE score(s) is likely to get into a school. A good proportion of schools may be reluctant to accept GRE scores as well. I believe at least one T13 school stated that it expects LSAT scores from its applicants. I also seem to remember two T13 schools allowing GRE scores, but primarily for those applying for dual degree programs. And don't forget about that GW Law incident.

• AidoeAidoe Free Trial Member
    236 karma

What GW Law incident?

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@Aidoe said:
    What are the prospects of getting admitted to a law school that accepts the GRE? Is it really likely someone with only a GRE score can get admitted?

If you have a good GPA and are struggling to do well on practice LSATs the GRE could make sense.

The problem is that as long as fewer schools accept the GRE you are shooting yourself in the foot as far as scholarships are concerned by applying as a GRE only applicant.

The only places this might not be relevant are places like Harvard which don't give out merit aid anyway. So there getting in one way is the same as getting in another. If you get into Northwestern GRE only and try to negotiate your scholarship upwards you might not have a peer school offer to negotiate with. If you get in there with an LSAT score, you probably also got into some peer school that could give you a scholarship offer. You can either accept the offer or negotiate to get a matching or similar offer at the school you most want to attend.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I think the GW incident is that the school suddenly reversed its decision to accept the GRE.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I don't think anyone really knows. But I speculate that if a school is accepting you with only a GRE score, then they were likely to have admitted you even if you had applied with an LSAT score below 50th.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

There really is no baseline for GRE, so it is difficult to know what score you will need in order to gain admission. At least with the LSAT, you have a general idea of what score you will need for each school in order to be admitted.