Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Find out actual score first or BR score first?

lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
in General 894 karma

Do you guys first grade your PT just to see the score in analytics without seeing the correct answers, and then blind review, or do you guys take the PT, blind review and then put it all into analytics?

I've always done it the second way. But I'm wondering if anyone prefers to do it the first way?

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Definitely BR first. I'd stick with your current method.

Would be surprised to see someone argue otherwise.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

You're supposed to put it all in at once. If you know your score before you BR, it can change the way you approach BR and make it less effective, especially when you can see the breakdown by section. Having said that, it can be really hard to patiently BR and not get that immediate gratification after taking a PT, so I'm sure that some people do it the first way (it's very tempting!)

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I know you're suppose to BR before grading, but I was always antsy to see my score.

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

I'm guilty of doing it the first way. If you haven't gotten into the bad habit, don't. I just look at the score and I also see my percentage correct from each section sometimes. And it has affected my BR at times. I'll think to myself "I only missed 2 in this section, so I don't really need to worry about the 7 I circled thattttttt much" or whatever it may be. I always have 2 copies of the exam so I BR on a fresh copy, just transfer my circles over. That helps keep me in check a bit because I don't see my previous answers or markings.

Also, if after I take a test I didn't feel good about a section, before grading or BR, I'll time myself and do that section again on my fresh PT copy and fresh bubble sheet. When that occurs, I usually do this one a different day. And I don't input my ACs into analytics before hand. For example, on my last PT, 76, I didn't feel great about the RC section. It was the first section. I decided to stop taking the test and do something else. I only have a few new PT left and I didn't want to "waste" this one. A couple days later I did sections 2, 3 and 4 then I redid section 1. I only answered two more questions right than I got first time around. But I learned a lot more than I would have if I powered through and completed the test with the wrong mindset. I understand there aren't time-outs or do-overs for the official test.

So if I feel good about a test, I'll put in my answers look at my score to get my instant gratification, then BR. But if i feel like my head wasn't fully there in a section or I didn't do my best, I'll take a break and re-do that section later that day or the next day. And I don't put in any answers until I complete it all and BR. It's good for me to see what questions I get wrong twice, or right once and wrong once. It provides one more piece to analyze after BR.

All that to say, what works for you may not work for everyone else. And the "right" way is whatever way you feel like you learn the most from the tests. For me, that is sometimes different with each test.

Good Luck!

• edited August 2018 1025 karma

I am, will now be was, the first way offender. I'm going to change that from now on. The comments are spot on in regards to downplaying sections that were "better."

I'll also add that instead of going only with my circled questions, I would count how many that section was wrong and change the corresponding amount of answers in BR. It sounds horrible to even say that, but my honesty pretty much reveals how flawed that approach is. I'm definitely changing to the latter. Thank for your post!!