Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the Ultimate Course worth it for the limited time I have?

mohidmalikmohidmalik Core Member
in General 12 karma

I am taking the LSAT this January. I have studied for about two months using other textbooks and have around 30 previous exams. I am interested in taking the LSAT Ultimate course, but the amount of hours that are designated for each week are far too unrealistic given that I am a full-time university student with essays and exams between now and January. Although I will find time to study, it will not be to the same 40 hours a week that some weeks note in the study schedule. Would it still make sense for me to enrol?

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

The hours on the Ultimate include PT hours, not just the core curriculum. You get the same curriculum no matter what package you get, the difference is in the number of PTs and practice sets that you get. I think since you already have 30 PTs (I'm assuming you mean that you've never done these ones), it's less important to buy a lot more. The amount of practice sets you'll need will depend on where you're starting out and how much you're looking to raise your score, as well as how much time you'll be able to dedicate to the LSAT. You can always get the Starter package and then upgrade if you need more practice sets and PTs.

• LG_CandideLG_Candide Alum Member
    72 karma

Another thing to note is that the time each person wants and needs to spend on each section of the core curriculum is subject to variation.

For instance, if you aren't getting very many questions wrong on LR sections, you won't be spending as much time blind reviewing. Moreover, a huge chunk of the Core Curriculum hours is tied up in problems sets. Each set of five questions is supposed to take 30 minutes. But for the sections with 1 star difficulty, this could be much more than the time you actually need to complete the questions and blind review. In addition, you do not need to complete all of the problem sets your first time around. One strategy is to do enough to get a solid grasp of the question type, and then to save problem sets for drilling later on (the problem set questions are pulled from some of the sections from Practice Tests 1-35, so you can also encounter them by drilling practice tests sections later on in your studying).

Quick Summary
    The time estimates are just that, estimates. They can differ depending on your grasp of the material, and depending on how many problem sets you choose to do your first time around.

As the above commenter noted, you get the Core Curriculum with all the packages. Ultimate is great if you want all of the Prep Tests that have ever existed. But you might not need this many to prepare. I would recommend enrolling with a Starter package at the very least, as I personally have found 7sage to be highly helpful in studying.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

Depends on if you have cash to burn. If yes, then go for it. Especially if you aren't confident you can get the LSAT score you want on your first try. Most people will retake and even take years of studying before getting a LSAT score they're happy with.
    If you only plan to take the Jan test, and be over with it, then honestly, no. It's not worth it. As everyone has already noted, the curriculum is the same. The reason for the price difference is mostly because of the licensing cost due to the LSAC for the practice material. So unless you plan to study a long time, there is no point to get the more expensive option.