Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you guys keep up motivation?

tbrit011tbrit011 Alum Member
in General 48 karma

I've been studying for the LSAT for a couple of months and I feel like I've run out of fuel, so I just wanted to ask how do you guys recharge? Im sorry, I'm sure this has been asked hundreds of times before but a little more motivation can't hurt.

Comments

• Victor WuVictor Wu Alum Member
    661 karma

Take breaks.

• DaniellaDaniella Alum Member
    95 karma

I take one day a week off where I completely don’t look at anything LSAT related. I spend that day doing things I enjoy or just relaxing. Also, if I feel particularly tired on a day that isn’t my designated off day, I will only study for a few hours and give myself the rest of the day off. I think it’s incredibly important to listen to your body, and when it’s tired, rest. This has helped my motivation and my attitude towards the test. If you’re feeling really unmotivated I suggest even taking a full weekend off. You will be more productive for the week ahead and see better results overall.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

I basically cycle between 2 months on and two months off. Start every day with meditation on how to be good and what life means to me. Constantly read, exercise, and have at least one other commitment (either job or volunteering, or family, etc).

• ad_coelumad_coelum Alum Member
    285 karma

I echo the above advice. I make it a point to take breaks, listen to music, do pleasure reading, cook, and watch movies. I'm all about a work-life balance. Take a bubble bath, go on a run, get out in nature, etc. Do what makes you happy. I call this my "defrag time." Taking a day or two (or more) off really helps with getting your focus back. I've also made a list of all the reasons why I want to be a lawyer and go to law school. I look back at this list often to keep me motivated for the journey ahead.

Keep on pushing and never give in!

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Look at your dream law schools :-)

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I'm a part of the minority that uses fear as a motivator.

• redshiftredshift Alum Member
    edited November 2018 261 karma

Thinking about the haters. No lie.

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

Remember the distinction between dedication and motivation. On any given day/week/month my motivation varies, but I stay dedicated and stick with my schedule. It’s true you need to listen to your body and have breaks, avoid burnout. I’m a strong believer in schedules, it got me through many marathons which people say is similar to studying for the LSAT. There may be many days when you aren’t motivated which is okay. You just have to stay dedicated to your goals. And CRUSH IT!

• jwilkersjwilkers Alum Member
    89 karma

Pretty much second everything already said! Practically speaking often times I feel unmotivated when I have been drilling a certain section or portion of the test too long, so I switch it up. Overall, breaks are key though as they allow your time spent studying to hopefully be more productive, and not just going through the motions.

• LSATSurvivorLSATSurvivor Alum Member
    228 karma

I listen to motivational speech before I start my prep. There are many good ones on youtube. Personally, I listen to Wakeuptime 's playlist. Hope this helps.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

Lol well in terms of motivational speeches, kobe Bryant once said 8 hours of practice is better than 1 second of losing.

• cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 737 karma

http://ballislife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/8384RodThornJordanSignContract-1024x720.jpg

I have this picture of Michael Jordan and David Falk, his agent and attorney, posted in my room. As cheesy as it sounds, I sometimes take a quick glance at it to remind myself that’s what I want to do, and I’m going to do all i can to get there.