Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR Question

A couple questions for our community about LR:
Once you learned the lawgic stuff and the steps for each question type, how did you get better, especially on the more difficult LR questions? Also, for those who began from a place of not being very confident with LR, what made the difference going forward? Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

The difference for me was conscious drilling. Drilling that went really deep into labeling all relevant elements of the argument. For questions that contain lawgic, I did dozens of them between 10 and 20 times each, watched the videos and read through the comments on 7Sage. I started pretty bad at Lr, actually really bad: being able to answer maybe 2-3 questions per section with no real strategy. Getting better can definitely be done.
    Besides drilling, I think my other breakthrough was developing a system/ plan of attack for questions that contain lawgic: specifically sufficient assumption questions.

I hope this helps

David

• Nabintou-1Nabintou-1 Alum Member
    410 karma

Prediction before reading answer choices, I think, makes a huge difference in how to approach LR. I would hear this tip and wouldn't always fully implement it because I'd be so worried about time that I thought thinking about the stimulus + predicting the correct AC based on my understanding of what I just read, would take too much time. In reality though, it actually cuts down on time so much. Because once you get good at it (begin by doing this with untimed sections), you're no longer looking through the ACs hoping that one of them (the correct one, obv.) will stand out to you, instead, you begin looking for the AC that matches your prediction.

*Note: it's impt. to be cautious of overconfidence errors when it comes to this, but I think that needs to be addressed a bit more down the road.

In terms of the "how", I would just print off a clear section from PT x and spend however long it would take me trying to predict the correct AC for each question. After getting more of a hang of it, a number of observations will begin to stand out. For exp., you may realize that for certain questions, time would actually be better spent going through the ACs because a prediction is tough to make in its case, etc. Point is, I think all of this can/will surface when using this method.

Hope that was thorough! Still, feel free to ask clarifying questions if needed.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

These are great responses! Thanks!