Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grad school before law school a good idea.

When I graduated undergrad I ended with no extracurriculars. Worked 35 hours a week with 15-18 credit hours most of the time. I'm planning to take this lsat January and March. And apply ED to a school. Hopefully a t14. Which I guess would put me to attend law school fall of 2020. I was wondering if I should just attend grad school/ post bacc in that time. I'd basically be doing nothing anyway and I feel like I may want to get a dual law degree. Also I feel as thought doing well in another program would make my UGPA look like less of a negative on my application. I need guidance.

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@tayanthony31 said:
    When I graduated undergrad I ended with no extracurriculars. Worked 35 hours a week with 15-18 credit hours most of the time. I'm planning to take this lsat January and March. And apply ED to a school. Hopefully a t14. Which I guess would put me to attend law school fall of 2020. I was wondering if I should just attend grad school/ post bacc in that time. I'd basically be doing nothing anyway and I feel like I may want to get a dual law degree. Also I feel as thought doing well in another program would make my UGPA look like less of a negative on my application. I need guidance.

If I understand you correctly, you would like to start graduate school in the fall of 2019 and enter law school in the fall of 2020. Applying ED means you will have to apply by November 2019 (or January 2020 for some schools). Will you receive graduate GPA by November 2019? Or are you planning to start graduate school in the spring of 2019?

Unless you have something you really want to study in graduate school, I don't think you should go. Your UGPA matters much more for law school application because that's the only number schools are required to report to the ABA. You can't change UGPA by enrolling in a graduate program, so you shouldn't try to go to graduate school just for the sake of law school application.

If you are just looking for something to fill the gap on your résumé, I recommend volunteering or doing something else.

Good luck!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Agreed with @akistotle. You could go to grad school if that's what you really wanted to do for yourself, but not for any reasons re: GPA and law school acceptance. That's not a great plan for making yourself look better to admissions.

If you don't have anything to do in the meantime, I would highly recommend working and/or volunteering. But if you're just looking for a time-filler, there are much easier and less expensive ways to do that than grad school.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

Work exp > grad school

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

It's a lot of time and debt to get a degree you won't use. I guess if you wanted to do business law and get an MBA, that would be different..