Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Admission Stress #help #emotions

sandycreamsandycream Alum Member
edited September 2018 in Law School Admissions 14 karma

First of all, I am an LSAT 154 and GPA 2.64.

I definitely am not aiming for 1st tier law schools, I was wishing if I have a chance for 2nd tier.
With my terrible GPA, I start to worry even if any of the 2nd/3rd tier school would take me.

A little bit about myself, I am now 29, I moved out and became financially independent when I was 19, started my first law firm job when I was 20.
I have been working as a paralegal for 9 years, and my current position is in a fairly big firm, with my years of paralegal experience, my salary is now at 80k plus bonus and overtime.

However, when I worked and being financial stable for past years, I can only finish my Bachelor Degree with much longer time - 7 years. I was reckless to not care about my grades, I just wanted to finish the degree. I thought I will be fine being a paralegal for rest of my life.

But after 9 years of working, I now want to become a lawyer.
I am worried if I go to low ranked schools, I will get into attorney positions that offer lower salary than my current pay.
Some people advise me not to be a lawyer, because it may not be financially wise. I will have to stop working for 3 years plus law school loans, not to mention I still have a mortgage to pay.
But deep down I know I really want to be a lawyer.

What should I do? What do you guys think?
If I get rejected from my desired schools, should I go back to college and take more classes to bring up my GPA?
Another LSAT? Just go to low ranked school, my experience will help?
Or do you guys think I should just stay being a paralegal....:(

What should I do?
  1. What should I do?44 votes
    1. Take more classes in college to bring up GPA
        2.27%
    2. Retake LSAT
      86.36%
    3. Go to low ranked school, you will be fine.
        6.82%
    4. Just stay being a paralegal and be financially stable
        4.55%
    5. Other
        0.00%

Comments

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

Wait so you're in school still or you graduated? Kind of confused.

If you finished your bachelor's already, taking more classes won't affect your LSAC GPA. Just go all out on the LSAT. By all out I mean get into the 160s and try to get a full ride or close to it somewhere. I think having zero loan repayments is especially important since you have more important obligations (mortgage).

• sandycreamsandycream Alum Member
    14 karma

Hi Tom,

I finished bachelor already.
    I thought taking extra classes will change my GPA but I guess I misunderstood this.

If a lower ranking school with scholarship and a higher ranking school with full pay, I think your opinion is to take the lower ranking school, right?

Thank you for your advice! I will consider retaking LSAT.

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

I think the most genuine, best advice here is to retake the LSAT. This is an entirely different conversation if you have a 162,165, or 170 in your pocket. This is a learnable test and a better LSAT score may help you achieve your goals of being a lawyer without taking on too much debt. Where you stand now, I am concerned with what your options will be and at what price. Good luck!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yeah, second what @Tom_Tango said. LSAC's policy is they only consider grades up through your first bachelor's degree. So taking more classes won't bring the GPA up. Your best odds would be to really buckle down on the LSAT and shoot for scoring 170+. @LSATcantwin is our most recent success story around here. He had I think roughly 2.9 GPA and with a 171 LSAT was able to get into Northwestern.

Your advisors are right that, honestly, going to a lower ranked school will likely mean that your salary would start out less than you're making as a paralegal now. Starting salaries after law school are bi-modal; stats may read that the "average" salary is around $100k but what actually happens is that a lot of people go to biglaw and start at $160k and most of the rest start at salaries around $60k. There are some jobs that pay between those, but not a lot. Biglaw jobs are hard to find if you attend a lower ranked school. So, that is something to take into consideration.

I don't know that I'd say you should stay a paralegal. It is a good career. But if you want to go to law school, I think you should really focus on the LSAT and bringing it up to 170+. That'd give you a shot at getting into better schools.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited September 2018 13286 karma

LSAT LSAT LSAT LSAT. There isnt even an option here, LSAT.

As @"Leah M B" said I had a 2.9 GPA with significant work experience. I knew I was capable of handling and attending t-14 but I needed to prove it. I proved it with the LSAT. I started with a 151 diagnostic, and over a year and a half (with 3 real takes) moved it to a 171. Last month Northwestern called me to accept me off their waitlist.

The LSAT is your way of showing these schools that those old grades do not define you, and that you are capable of success in law school. Its your only tool.

An added bonus I think the LSAT throws in, is to see how badly you want it. If this is really where your heart lies, a year won’t matter.

Soooooo LSAT!

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

Yeah your situation screams "retake." Many schools in the top 50 are splitter friendly so get that LSAT at 165+ and so many more doors will open up for you. Your strong work experience + a gpa addendum may even net you wash u at 169+ lsat. Don't give up your dream of being a lawyer and study hard.

8392 karma

@LSATcantwin HI BUDDY!

Hope NU is treating you well. :)

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    @LSATcantwin HI BUDDY!

Hey! NU is amazing I love my professors, my section and the campus! Deff apply here I can’t talk it up enough

8392 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Leah M B" said:
    @LSATcantwin HI BUDDY!

Hey! NU is amazing I love my professors, my section and the campus! Deff apply here I can’t talk it up enough

They reduced the ED scholarship to $120k. :( I probably won't ED anymore, but defffffinitely applying! :)

• sandycreamsandycream Alum Member
    edited September 2018 14 karma

Thank you all for opinions. I didn't think of retaking LSAT because I wanted to get JD ASAP, I was struggling between going to 3rd tier and pay full tuition or 4th tier with a small scholarship.

But after reading all the advice, I strongly believe retaking LSAT will be the best way to go! I know I can do better.

I will apply for law schools in October regardless, see what the results are. If my options don't surprise me, I will retake LSAT.

Thank you again!

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 1777 karma

Most schools will only factor 120 credits into your GPA. Like I have 121 credits and I have a 3.80 LSAC GPA instead of a 3.79 (my actual GPA). So more classes won't bring up your GPA. I think that your paralegal experience will carry a lot of weight, though. Anyway, I think that you should do whatever feels right for you. If you want to work in a firm that's going to be able to offer you a six-figure job, go for it. If you want to be a prosecutor or public defender, go for it. If you want to do pretty much exactly what you do except be the face of the case... it's a lot of money to do so. However, if you score well enough on the LSAT, you may be able to get a ton of scholarship money. In my mind, this would be a situation based on scholarship, not the rank of the school.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Work as hard as you can to improve your LSAT score. In the long run, the time and effort to improve will be dwarfed by the time and effort you will put into law school, studying for the bar exam, and practicing law.

Put in the work and go chase your dream! If you apply with your current LSAT you will probably be paying full tuition at a school with statistically lower bar passage rates which could lead to a job, but will not guarantee one. Some first year lawyers where I live make less than you do currently. Go for the sure thing and get a scholarship or get into a top 50 school with better job placement.

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

Definitely look into raising your LSAT score. You don't need to shoot for 170+ (98th percentile). Just be sure that when you apply you know you have put your energy into the test and you are confident that it is your best. I would suggest holding off on applications and maybe consider taking the November LSAT. You should also seriously consider waiting a cycle to apply.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is part-time programs. They can be a great way for you to keep your job and your income while advancing your education. Also, talk your company about whether they would hire you once you have a JD. Your current network could make this idea that you must go to the highest ranked school not a factor for you. Talk to them, find people in a position to support and guide you, ask about future career choices with them, and earnings. You have an opportunity to have a job, that is hopefully aligned with what you want your law career to be, while in law school and a possible commitment of employment after graduation.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Retake the LSAT and don't give up on your dream of being a lawyer.