Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Law School Recommendation Letters

LawSkewlProbsLawSkewlProbs Alum Member
in General 103 karma

Are you all having professors submit via the Credential Assembly Service? Are you reading them or having them sent in without your review?

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yes, LORs need to be sent in to LSAC from the professors directly. There is an option in the CAS system for you to choose to waive your right to see the letters - this is very highly recommended to be checked. You should waive that right. As far as if you see the letters, you could very kindly ask your writers to send you a copy as well. I used a vague reason like "for my files". One of my 3 recommenders sent me a copy and the others didn't. I didn't press the issue, because I trust them. You have to have a little bit of blind faith.

• Sara_3080Sara_3080 Alum Member
    432 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Yes, LORs need to be sent in to LSAC from the professors directly. There is an option in the CAS system for you to choose to waive your right to see the letters - this is very highly recommended to be checked. You should waive that right. As far as if you see the letters, you could very kindly ask your writers to send you a copy as well. I used a vague reason like "for my files". One of my 3 recommenders sent me a copy and the others didn't. I didn't press the issue, because I trust them. You have to have a little bit of blind faith.

Why do you recommend we waive the right to see our letters?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@Saraa_79 said:

@"Leah M B" said:

Because law schools will be suspicious of the decision not to - like you're afraid of something that might be in the letters. Waiving your right to see them is pretty standard, vast majority of people do that. So if you don't, it looks like you're worried about the content of the letters. It's more of a guarantee to your writers too that they can write candidly, and law schools will see it as such.

• Sara_3080Sara_3080 Alum Member
    432 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

@Saraa_79 said:

@"Leah M B" said:

Because law schools will be suspicious of the decision not to - like you're afraid of something that might be in the letters. Waiving your right to see them is pretty standard, vast majority of people do that. So if you don't, it looks like you're worried about the content of the letters. It's more of a guarantee to your writers too that they can write candidly, and law schools will see it as such.

Got it, thanks! :)