Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Education" Section of Application: Listing Academic Awards

Yo so I have a question about the "Education" Section of some schools' applications. For instance, Harvard asks you to "list the academic honors, awards, or other recognitions you have received."

I was an almost straight-A student, so I got Dean's List (GPA of 3.50+), Provost's Honor Roll (GPA of 3.75+), and President's Honor Roll (4.0) nearly every semester. But am I actually supposed to list all of these? It seems really redundant to have 20 entries all saying the same thing ... wouldn't these show up on the transcripts anyway?

Also, if anyone is in Phi Beta Kappa, what did you put for the "description"? Just "Honor Society"? There's a pretty small character limit. Same question with summa cum laude----"top 5% of class"?

I know these questions may be dumb and I might be nitpicking, but I just want to make sure I'm doing this right ...

Thanks for all the help guys

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

But am I actually supposed to list all of these? It seems really redundant to have 20 entries all saying the same thing ... wouldn't these show up on the transcripts anyway?

Wouldn't hurt, would it?

Same question with summa cum laude----"top 5% of class"?

Yes.

• eduexpert325eduexpert325 Free Trial Member
    edited November 2020 2 karma

To get an academic reward it will cost you a lot of energy and free time. My friend is in Phi Beta Kappa and he contacted https://www.essayedge.com/samples/college-recommendation-letter/ to get to know what should be in description, the company helps with Section of Application and other related things. If you want to win this time you would better contact them

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

I didn't list deans list at all in any of my applications. I got it every single semester, and someone would be able to look at my GPA and kind of tell that. Having 8 entries for deans list wouldn't have added much to my application and I preferred to focus that section on awards/scholarships that were based on qualitative characteristics because those really add more to my app than deans list. I included summa cum laude because that's only one entry.

As for the "it wouldn't hurt" to include all of the deans lists - I mean it would kind of hurt by taking away focus from other awards you may have received. If you are going to list the awards, at least just list the highest award you got that semester. No need to list the 3.5+ award if you already list the 4.0 award, that's very redundant. Just my personal opinion and what I would do though, I don't work in admissions.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Wait just realized this entry is 2 years old and got bumped lmfao

• OldLadyKOldLadyK Alum Member
    396 karma

@noonawoon I found your answer very helpful so I'm glad you posted 😊