Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recent PT RC strategies

arman_65arman_65 Alum Member

So since beginning my LSAT journey in April 2018, I've seen my RC improve as I worked through PT's 1-60. However, after taking a few PT's in the 70's my RC score has plummeted. I've noticed that the passages are similar and I am not having an issue understanding the passages.. However, the answer choices seem more convoluted to me and even through BR I have a very hard time understanding and learning from trap answer choices. Another problem is that drilling earlier PT's is not helping and I can't drill the 70's and 80's for RC purposes since I'm saving them for full tests. I would appreciate any advice on how to improve and learn from my mistakes.

Comments

• SamiSami Yearly + Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10801 karma

I think this is a tricky question and you'll find arguments on both sides. Personally, I took PT's blind, meaning I had no idea which series they were pulled from and my average score and RC performance stayed pretty much the same. I am not denying there is a slight shift. But how abrupt that shift is , is debatable. The LSAT writers are always looking for ways to evolve the test but the evolution is more gradual.

It's hard to know without having worked with you what might actually help you. I would say keep doing RC and if you havn't tired the 60's use some of the section as drills. Also, I would say give it time. RC just takes a lot of work and practice and patience. Drops in scores are not uncommon and could have various causes; section strategy, overthinking as you got good, rushing in order to get more points. The solution is figuring out what's causing the drop in scores and to watch yourself after having taken the section to figure out if you did anything that lead to you missing those questions.

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

@arman_65 said:
    So since beginning my LSAT journey in April 2018, I've seen my RC improve as I worked through PT's 1-60. However, after taking a few PT's in the 70's my RC score has plummeted. I've noticed that the passages are similar and I am not having an issue understanding the passages.. However, the answer choices seem more convoluted to me and even through BR I have a very hard time understanding and learning from trap answer choices. Another problem is that drilling earlier PT's is not helping and I can't drill the 70's and 80's for RC purposes since I'm saving them for full tests. I would appreciate any advice on how to improve and learn from my mistakes.

OP,
    How many Qs did you miss on average from PT 1 to 60? And how many more Qs did you start missing in the 70s? I think letting others know that allows more insight into this issue.