Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apply now with current LSAT or wait till November results?

cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member

Hi again everyone,

So according to the Law School Predictor tool on here, I have a 77% chance to one of my target schools, Texas Tech if I were to submit my app in October.

Stats: URM/GPA: 3.39/ LSAT: 144, 147, and recently 150 for the Sept. exam

I am also registered for the November exam, however I think realistically i'd only be able to raise my score another 2-3 points...shooting for 5 though :p

Should I just submit my application to this school already, or should I just take a gamble and wait/hope for a better score? I'm really concerned because my chances drop to 68% in December (when I assume scores come out and I'd submit my app) if I stay with the same score or possibly lower the score :o

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks a bunch!

Comments

  • LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Legacy Member
    4850 karma

    A couple of different data points for you.

    • The LSAC GPA/LSAT search tool has an application with your stats at a 20-30% chance of admission

    • Spivey's class of 2021 data has Texas Tech's LSAT scores at 152/155/157 and a GPA median of 3.43.

    • 2017 509 data shows LSAT scores at 154/155/156 and GPA median of 3.43

    Personally (speaking as a non-URM), I would not feel comfortable submitting an application below median in both LSAT and GPA and below LSAT 25th% as well. I would wait to see how I performed in November.

    Again, that's just me. Either way, good luck with the retake and with your applications, regardless of when you submit them!

  • _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited October 2018 3652 karma

    I don’t know the exact numbers and I’m totally speculating and this is just from scrutinizing LSN so much, I think the “URM boost” gives you a 2-5 point LSAT boost. Your GPA is also below the median. You aren’t a shoe in with your current stats. I would retake just to get those 2 extra points. Definitely start working on your app now and submit it whenever it’s ready even if it’s before score release. You can just indicate you’re taking November 2018 and they will wait to review with an updated score.

  • cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma

    @LSAT_Wrecker said:
    A couple of different data points for you.

    - The LSAC GPA/LSAT search tool has an application with your stats at a 20-30% chance of admission

    • Spivey's class of 2021 data has Texas Tech's LSAT scores at 152/155/157 and a GPA median of 3.43.

    • 2017 509 data shows LSAT scores at 154/155/156 and GPA median of 3.43

    Personally (speaking as a non-URM), I would not feel comfortable submitting an application below median in both LSAT and GPA and below LSAT 25th% as well. I would wait to see how I performed in November.

    Again, that's just me. Either way, good luck with the retake and with your applications, regardless of when you submit them!

    Thank you, @LSAT_Wrecker . I'm curious to know where you got those first numbers from? Like where did you get that 20-30 percentage from?

    I also feel a bit uncomfortable applying already, but the 77% is really tempting me to apply, especially since there's always a chance my score will drop.

    So you think I should take my chances and apply until after the November LSAT? Regardless, thank you very much for your advice!

  • cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma

    @oshun1 said:
    I don’t know the exact numbers and I’m totally speculating and this is just from scrutinizing LSN so much, I think the “URM boost” gives you a 2-5 point LSAT boost. Your GPA is also below the median. You aren’t a shoe in with your current stats. I would retake just to get those 2 extra points. Definitely start working on your app now and submit it whenever it’s ready even if it’s before score release. You can just indicate you’re taking November 2018 and they will wait to review with an updated score.

    That's whats holding me back, I'm not a definite shoe in, but the percentage is tempting me! Thank you very much for your feedback :)

  • LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Legacy Member
    edited October 2018 4850 karma

    lsac.org. School search. Input your gpa and lsat score. The output is a 2017 applicant’s chance of admittance with the input gpa and lsat. It shows a % range for every law school.

  • PineapplePizzaSucksPineapplePizzaSucks Legacy Member
    534 karma

    @cgracia12 said:
    Hi again everyone,

    So according to the Law School Predictor tool on here, I have a 77% chance to one of my target schools, Texas Tech if I were to submit my app in October.

    Stats: URM/GPA: 3.39/ LSAT: 144, 147, and recently 150 for the Sept. exam

    I am also registered for the November exam, however I think realistically i'd only be able to raise my score another 2-3 points...shooting for 5 though :p

    Should I just submit my application to this school already, or should I just take a gamble and wait/hope for a better score? I'm really concerned because my chances drop to 68% in December (when I assume scores come out and I'd submit my app) if I stay with the same score or possibly lower the score :o

    Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks a bunch!

    I would take any numbers from these "calculators" with a grain of salt. As accurate as they try to be, URM applicants are scarce which makes their applications a wild card (for good reason) even if below both medians. On top of that, not many URMs submit their stats to these tools in the first place so there's no way for their data to be as accurate as for non-URMs. If you feel like your application is ready (essays etc. are great), and you're doubtful that you will score closer to or above their median LSAT in November, I personally would submit with an addendum that acknowledges you are signed up to retake in November but that you are confident in your current submission. They may see a need to wait until November to make a determination on your application, they may not. That being said, I, (along with everyone else commenting) am not qualified to tell you what to do in this situation. Your best bet is to contact the pre-law dean at your undergraduate institution and ask them for advice. They've likely worked closely with many students at your school and can give a better idea of what to do.

Sign In or Register to comment.