Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weaken Q's "Conclusion" v. "Argument" Semantics

andrewr92andrewr92 Alum Member

I know that for weaken questions we're supposed to be critical of how the premise(s) support the conclusion (e.g. select the answer choice that "most weakens the argument" (an argument of course comprising one or several premises and a conclusion). But what if the question stem is cast in weaken form but refers only to the "conclusion"? For example, a stem might ask for which choice "casts the most doubt on the conclusion above." Is there a distinction to be drawn between these stems insofar as what the test is asking the test-taker to do? In other words, if I'm asked to weaken exclusively the conclusion, should I pay no attention to premises and select the answer choice that would simply weaken the conclusion, or do I need to without exception be cognizant of the premise-conclusion relationship?

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I think that you always need to be cognizant of the premise-conclusion relationship. Without a premise, a conclusion isn't a conclusion- it's just a statement. For something to be a conclusion it has to be supported by other statements (the premises). Your job on weaken questions is to show why the conclusion doesn't/might not follow from the premises.