Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking the November LSAT and only 70% done with core material!

bestjay912bestjay912 Member
edited October 2018 in General 17 karma

Hello 7sagers,

I am looking for some advice. Currently i'm booked to take the November LSAT but i'm about 70% complete (mid way through games) with the core curriculum. What should i do if i want to be ready for the test next month and expedite the amount of time for testing and blind reviewing? my previous score was a 151

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited October 2018 1804 karma

Target score?

If you are only about 70% complete with the core curriculum at this point, I strongly, strongly urge you to cancel and take the LSAT at a later date. Because you see...

What should i do if i want... expedite the amount of time for testing and blind reviewing?

...the LSAT isn't really about expediting, as you might know already. It's all about constant preparation and ingraining. It's almost impossible for you to get through the rest of the core curriculum and prepare adequately before the November LSAT (unless your target score is something like 154 -- hence my first question).

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

I was going to offer some advice, but then I saw @FixedDice said exactly what I was going to say...

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    I was going to offer some advice, but then I saw @FixedDice said exactly what I was going to say...

"We make it easy on you!"
    - A certain Southern Californian radio commercial jingle

• bestjay912bestjay912 Member
    edited October 2018 17 karma

@FixedDice and @LSAT_Wrecker thanks for the advice. I don't have the luxury to put it off again since i quit my job to study full time but i could probably take it again in January. should i keep on working on the core curriculum or move along faster by skipping some problem sets; so that i can start blind reviewing? also my goal is a 160+ . thanks for your advice

• cqas190517cqas190517 Alum Member 🍌
    535 karma

This happened to me in September because I didn’t discover 7Sage within enough time of the actual test date to completely foolproof LG 1-35. I had finished the CC by the test though. I still took the test because taking it meant I didn’t lose out almost $200, having a retake is pretty common, and because experiencing the actual test was valuable in itself. I had a few lessons learned from the test experience that I’ll be applying to the November test. I also knew I was a fairly good standardized tester. Someone who knows they’re terrible at testing should probably cancel and wait. But if this is your first take, I’d say still take the test for the experience. I mean, even three takes is still ok if your third take lands you in the 170’s. I personally know someone with three takes (177-179 range) who went to HLS. Best of luck!

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@bestjay912 said:
    @FixedDice and @LSAT_Wrecker thanks for the advice. I don't have the luxury to put it off again since i quit my job to study full time but i could probably take it again in January. should i keep on working on the core curriculum or move along faster by skipping some problem sets; so that i can start blind reviewing? also my goal is a 160+ . thanks for your advice

Rushing it definitely makes me nervous for you. But if you have no choice then I'd just find more time in the day to get everything done. It's totally possible. You don't have to do every single practice set before moving on. I'd take PT's (since you're full time I'd do twice a week) and then just make sure you're analyzing the hell out of them when you BR. Really dig deep and figure out where your weaknesses lie. BRing can and probably should take like all day. Figure out where you're still weak on the fundamentals and then go back to the curriculum and focus on redoing those lessons/doing more practice sets.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    edited October 2018 4850 karma

@bestjay912 said:

2 parts to your question that I'll address (and take the first with a grain of salt):

1. Unless there is a guy holding a gun to your head and jamming a LSAT scan-tron answer sheet into your palms, you don't have to take the LSAT at any one particular sitting. I am a strong believer in taking the LSAT when you are ready and have demonstrated the ability to score your target score. To do anything less is to waste one's shot at attending the law school you really want to go to. Are you willing to settle for a "lesser" (defined in your own personal calculus) law school merely because you feel you have to take either the November or January test right now instead of waiting until you feel more prepared? LSAC is going to keep offering LSATs, month after month, year after year. If you do settle, will you be happy 10, 20, 30 years from now with that decision? You don't "have" to take it any time, it is a conscious choice. There are literally billions of people not taking either the November or January LSAT. Its okay to be one of them. YMMV.

2. As to problem sets, if it was a question type I was comfortable with, I did every other set during the CC. That way I could have some "fresh" sets to go back to during my PT phase. If I was not comfortable with the question type or consistently performed badly on the problem sets, I would do more. Again, YMMV.

Either way, good luck and I hope you meet your goals. Keep grinding it!