Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Blog Post: PS about Depression (>Stanford Law!)

David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
edited July 2019 in Law School Admissions 7293 karma

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to post one of the best personal statements I've ever worked on! This essay flies in the face of a lot of PS advice you might find in the wild, including ours. It centers on a childhood incident and talks about the author's depression. It doesn't even really tell a story. Nevertheless, I think it's PHENOMENAL, and admissions committees agreed: the author wound up going to Stanford.

If you've been tuning in to the podcast, this is the essay that I reference in the latest episode.

Check it out if you need inspiration: https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/ps-depression/

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8699 karma

I have enjoyed these posts. I was wondering if it were possible to know these people’s numbers? Or at least a range that they are in: at or near the 75th percentile for lsat for instance. I’m asking kindly because I want to get to the core question here of to what effect these letters- which are very well written- had on their admissions process. Is that something covered on the podcast?

David

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7293 karma

@BinghamtonDave I don't have permission to share the numbers, sorry! I can tell you that Columbia was a reach for the writer of the personal statement about sexual assault, and that Stanford was a target for the writer of the depression personal statement (inasmuch as Stanford can be a target).