Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any opinions on georgetown?

_oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
in General 3652 karma

I’ve seen comments here and there about gulc being like a law school scam and they game their numbers by having such a large class size. NAALP data looks good though unless I’m reading it wrong.

Just got invited to a group interview, nice to have some movement on my apps.

Comments

• partiyelipartiyeli Member
    12 karma

they have a good tax program if you are interested in that.

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

I think it’s an amazing school. I like the size. It allows for a lot of options. It’s in an amazing location. Not sure what you mean by a law school scam? Also, most schools are looking for the highest number, so not sure what you mean by gaming the numbers?

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

It's better than any of the schools outside the T14. And I'll preemptively address the "But [School X's] employment numbers are just as good" argument. Georgetown places a lot of people into government. A lot of those people are choosing to go there. But even if its numbers were the same or worse, you should consider what market their grads go to.

But it's considerably worse than most of the schools in the T13. And it's clerkship numbers are really poor.

1270 karma

@10000019 you think the evidence shows that northwestern, Cornell, and duke are regarding as solidly superior? I like Georgetown and its location more than those other schools. I didn’t realize there was that much of a disparity.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2018 23929 karma

@oshun1 said:
    I’ve seen comments here and there about gulc being like a law school scam and they game their numbers by having such a large class size. NAALP data looks good though unless I’m reading it wrong.

Just got invited to a group interview, nice to have some movement on my apps.

It's a great school, no doubt. Like with any schools, what your personal goals and financial situation are have to factor into the calculus when choosing which to attend. Their numbers are solid but their 72% employment score gives me pause for the price and ranking. And their big law/clerkship numbers could be better too. Then again, GULC has a disproportionate amount of people with previous careers in DC/Capitol hill who plan to go into non-law careers/policy/politics and that might partially explain their clerkship/big law numbers.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@Nov2018Taker said:
    @10000019 you think the evidence shows that northwestern, Cornell, and duke are regarding as solidly superior? I like Georgetown and its location more than those other schools. I didn’t realize there was that much of a disparity.

I've seen a good number of people argue that there's a big difference between T14 and T13. I haven't compared all the schools in the T14, but I have compared Cornell and Georgetown.

Cornell does place a lot more graduates into big firms. But Georgetown places a lot more people into the government (accounting for the difference in size, Georgetown places 4x as much).

And both schools are pretty low in Federal clerkships.

I'm not sure about the rest of the T14. You can take a look at the employment data, but try to consider it all together. Don't just look at one category and make a blanket assumption. And think about where they place graduates.

If you know you want to work in DC, you shouldn't choose Cornell over Georgetown. Cornell placed less than 6% of their class of 2017 in DC (they don't publish the number because it's so low). Georgetown placed around 40% of their 2017 class in DC.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

If you decide to go to Georgetown, or any of the T14 schools, you will have a bunch of great opportunities and you just have to figure out what sort of trajectory you want to take and work as hard as you can to get good grades/secure summer jobs. I think other people speculating about the lower employment numbers are correct in assuming that it is due in part to the decisions of the students who go there and which career trajectories they decide to pursue.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

I’ve heard they don’t really give much $$$. If anyone can confirm or give their .02 please do!

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

I think georgetown is a great school, but you'll need to be in the top 5-10% of the class to get what the 50% of the class gets at HYS, or CCN. This unique circumstance is because GULC accepts so many students(with only harvard's class size close to it), and also because GULC offers some great programs, but those programs literally only have a dozen availabilities or so while hundreds apply. IMO, the support staff and infrastructure isn't strong enough to sufficiently support so many students, so only the creme of the crop gets the help the need to flourish.
    If you can get into a higher ranking school, that would be for the best, but if you want to be in DC and believe you can be in that top 10%, then GULC is great. I have a friend(top 10% of class) there who can get any interview she wants, and is in the new business-law program, and she seems to be loving all the guest speakers that she gets to meet, and everything else about the school. I definitely won't survive there, though, since I'm not a hardcore type A student. It's an environment where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, and dog eat dog.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited November 2018 3652 karma

@Bamboosprout said:
    I think georgetown is a great school, but you'll need to be in the top 5-10% of the class to get what the 50% of the class gets at HYS, or CCN. This unique circumstance is because GULC accepts so many students(with only harvard's class size close to it), and also because GULC offers some great programs, but those programs literally only have a dozen availabilities or so while hundreds apply. IMO, the support staff and infrastructure isn't strong enough to sufficiently support so many students, so only the creme of the crop gets the help the need to flourish.
    If you can get into a higher ranking school, that would be for the best, but if you want to be in DC and believe you can be in that top 10%, then GULC is great. I have a friend(top 10% of class) there who can get any interview she wants, and is in the new business-law program, and she seems to be loving all the guest speakers that she gets to meet, and everything else about the school. I definitely won't survive there, though, since I'm not a hardcore type A student. It's an environment where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, and dog eat dog.

^ this is what I’ve heard repeatedly about gtown and why I made this post. I really haven’t heard anything positive about the school!! D: aside from yeah it’s t14 so there is a possibility for great opportunities.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

@oshun1 said:

^ this is what I’ve heard repeatedly about gtown and why I made this post. I really haven’t heard anything positive about the school!! D: aside from yeah it’s t14 so there is a possibility for great opportunities.

I would love/kill to go to Georgetown, lol.

1270 karma

Stop hating on Georgetown!!! Lol it’s ranked 14th. You want better, go to 1-13. It’s not ranked 3rd and being outperformed by school ranked 10th. It’s ranked 14th and being outperformed by schools ranked higher. It doesn’t offer everything. It has flaws. But it’s a great school. And for those who don’t have a 3.9 and a 173, it still offers you a chance to compete with those people if you are ranked high enough (not too shabby). It’s solidly the 14th best school. No more. Not less.

3652 karma

@Nov2018Taker said:
    Stop hating on Georgetown!!! Lol it’s ranked 14th. You want better, go to 1-13. It’s not ranked 3rd and being outperformed by school ranked 10th. It’s ranked 14th and being outperformed by schools ranked higher. It doesn’t offer everything. It has flaws. But it’s a great school. And for those who don’t have a 3.9 and a 173, it still offers you a chance to compete with those people if you are ranked high enough (not too shabby). It’s solidly the 14th best school. No more. Not less.

I really hope you aren’t making your school decisions based on rankings. Idc if a school is ranked #14 or #15 or #12 if it has an oddly low employment % and from what I’ve heard students don’t enjoy attending and it’s a really competitive environment. I’m not bashing anything, just wanting further info

1270 karma

nah, I’m putting a little more thought than just a numerical ranking based on the math of what usnwr finds important. I guess I was reacting more to the possibility of it being a law school scam and it gaming its numbers.
    With that said, I did the group interview for Georgetown in sept. It was actually a legitimately fun experience. I’m not sure who your interview is with, but Dean Cornblatt is great. Good luck! And I hope to see you at Georgetown next year ?

• PolemarchusPolemarchus Alum Member
    53 karma

Totally non-scientific, but I got real bad vibes when I visited Georgetown last week. Granted, it’s a busy time of the school year, but students at the other T14s were much more chill and happy to talk. I spoke with 5-10 random students at each school I visited, and while one Gtown student was exceptionally warm, everyone else seemed confused and preoccupied and nervous. That makes sense, bc law school. But Gtown took it to a whole new level. It sounds dramatic but it felt like tension hung in the air.
    Again, this is one person’s reading based on visiting for 2 hours with seven students. Happy to be disabused of this if others had different experiences.

3652 karma

In!! Super stoked

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

@oshun1 said:
    In!! Super stoked

Congrats!

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

@oshun1 said:
    In!! Super stoked