Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Early Decision and being a URM

TrustingGodTrustingGod Free Trial Member
in General 240 karma

I was wondering how the process of applying early decision for a URM is? I'm very nervous to apply early decision anywhere because of the possibility of not receiving a scholarship. I was wondering if being a URM would help concerning the aid I would possibly receive.

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Not if it's a binding ED that doesn't offer a scholarship. Once they've got you on the hook, they don't need to do anything else.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Admissions committee person I met that is also on the scholarship committee and works in financial aid says binding ED with no guaranteed scholarship is usually not a good decision unless it is your dream to go to that school and you don’t want to go to law school if it is not at that school. You lose any leverage for negotiating scholarships

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Agree with the others. If there's no guaranteed scholarship, then I would not ED there unless you are prepared to pay full sticker. It's possible they could award you some scholarship, but it's just as likely that they won't - and either way, you'd be on the hook for paying if it's a binding decision. I personally don't think you should ED any school that doesn't guarantee a large scholarship unless you have independent means of paying for school (wealthy parents, military benefits, massive savings, etc).

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

Same as the above. RD is by and large the way to go for anyone, URM or no. Of course, one could make an argument that the point applies even more forcefully to the former case since—all other things being equal— you have more chance of being admitted as a URM With RD than otherwise (though, perhaps, not for long!). So, you probably do not want to lose any leverage you might otherwise have.

• TrustingGodTrustingGod Free Trial Member
    240 karma

Thank you for the advice everyone!