Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guidance for LOR from manager?

Hi all,

I've been out of college for a few years now, so I asked my manager to write me a letter of recommendation and she readily agreed. She would like to see some examples of good letters of recommendation, since she's never written one for law school apps. Anyone have any helpful links and/or words of wisdom? I've found plenty of examples for letters from professors, but not a lot of robust guidance for employers.

Thanks!

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    edited November 2018 3256 karma

If there's anything particularly "academic" about your job- writing, any sort of research, etc.- then asking her to highlight those skills and how you've used them might be a good idea. Or something that would indicate good performance in law school, like excellent time management skills maybe? As general LOR advice, it's better to have an anecdote or story that shows your good qualities rather than just a laundry list of generic skills.

• pomegranatepomegranate Alum Member
    27 karma

@MissChanandler said:
    If there's anything particularly "academic" about your job- writing, any sort of research, etc.- then asking her to highlight those skills and how you've used them might be a good idea. Or something that would indicate good performance in law school, like excellent time management skills maybe? As general LOR advice, it's better to have an anecdote or story that shows your good qualities rather than just a laundry list of generic skills.

Thanks! I do lots of writing and research and presenting to clients/managing client relationships, so I'll ask her to highlight those skills.