Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tips on how to read the stimulus only once?

Ruby SohoRuby Soho Core Member
edited August 2013 in Logical Reasoning 106 karma
Hi All!!

I am working my way through the Logic Reasoning lessons (I just finished up the first "strengthening" problem sets).

I keep finding myself reading the stimulus more than once OR I read the same sentence more than once to ensure I understand the sentence.

Any tips on how make it through the stimulus the first time without having to re-read?

Time is everything on the LSAT!!! Any tips or words of encouragement will be much appreciated!

Thanks much! Happy studying =)

Comments

• EuripidesFanEuripidesFan Free Trial Member
    83 karma
    I found myself struggling with this until I realized after a lot of time spent reviewing tests that much of what is contained in the stimulus is irrelevant. Or, maybe not entirely relevant, but only relevant in so far as it advances the logical structure of the argument.

I think it would be wise not to discount too much the extent to which the test makers seem to want to trip us up by "psyching" us out with seemingly complex terminology and poorly constructed sentences. I don't think there's a silver bullet that can resolve this problem because of the infinite number of ways the test makers can make potentially every word important in a stimulus.

However, I do believe over time and with enough review, you will automatically become quicker during a first-read through of an LR stimulus (or RC paragraph) in determining what are the important logical elements that will enable you to select the correct answer choice. (i.e. conditional, causal, premise, conclusion, formal logic indicators as well as structural indicators that reveal gaps in assumptions, weaknesses, and potentially ones that indicate that the argument is well supported (though that's rare))

Anyways, that's just my 2 cents.
  • KK Free Trial Member
    345 karma
    Mark the conclusion, note any modifiers (some, all, none, etc.), map out any logical indicators (especially for NA, PSA/SA, MBT).

• Ruby SohoRuby Soho Core Member
    106 karma
    Thanks for the words of advice guys!!
  • Jason BorerJason Borer Free Trial Member
    24 karma
    Honestly, I don't think it is too important to focus on trying to read the stimulus only once. Doing so will only put unnecessary pressure on you. I feel what is more substantial is being able to weed through background information vs. premise vs. conclusion.

If re-reading parts of the stimulus will allow me to gain a concrete understanding of whats going on, the answer choices will pop off.
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14044 karma
    If I'm stuck on two answer choices, I immediately re-read the stimulus because surely there is something there that I missed.