Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deep breath, back into the breach (March LSAT prep)

LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
edited December 2018 in General 4850 karma

Okay, so I haven't touched the LSAT since the September test. I have not reviewed the test itself, although I know how each section broke out (LR: -6, -6, RC -6, LG -3). I was / am relatively happy with my 163 although it only off-sets my 20 year old uGPA of 2.73 so much. I've got 7 applications outstanding. I do have 2 acceptances in hand, one of which I am happy with / would attend. However, as my 163 is still 2 points below where I was averaging at the time and only at median at a few of my reach schools, I am looking at studying for the March LSAT while the rest of this cycle plays out. Worst case scenario, I happily go to one of the schools I'm already accepted at. Best case scenario, I increase my score and get a better outcome on some of the other still pending applications. I'm anticipating wait lists (if not outright dings) for my reach schools.

So, here's the plan:

1. Redo the LR portion of the CC. Nice and slow, focusing on going complete understanding.

After that:

1. Continue to fool-proof LG (I've got a huge binder of games from my previous work ups).

2. Practice different techniques for RC. I tended to do better with RC than the scored -6. So I'll continue to work with that.

3. Start PTing about early February (assuming timing works).

I've only got 9 fresh PTs to work with, all "older" ones in the 30/40/50 range. When it comes time to PT, I'll mix fresh PTs with reused ones from further back in my prep.

I'm not going to register for the LSAT until just before the deadline. I'm willing to let my current applications stand on their own strength.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Comments

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

No recommendations but I’m curious how the March score affects your chances. I’m nervous (unjustifiably) about my January score being too late. And now, I was thinking if January didn’t get me where I wanted to be, if March was a possibility. It seems like you’re telling me it is.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    edited December 2018 4850 karma

I'm assuming I'll be on a couple of wait lists and hoping this helps get me off them. This may be all in vain; however, hope springs eternal. TBH, it will also take my mind off status checkers as well.

ETA: @Louislepauvre I've already submitted all of my applications. My current LSAT is at or above median at every school I've applied to. I would not recommend waiting until March to apply to school.

750 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    I'm assuming I'll be on a couple of wait lists and hoping this helps get me off them. This may be all in vain; however, hope springs eternal. TBH, it will also take my mind off status checkers as well.

ETA: @Louislepauvre I've already submitted all of my applications. My current LSAT is at or above median at every school I've applied to. I would not recommend waiting until March to apply to school.

Right—I’m hitting that submit
    Button in late December-mid January. I’m gonna click that button on the app that says “scores still pending,” then hopefully there’s Jr too much gap in between when they start evaluating my app, and when I get my January score back on Feb 15.

• 25Seamus25Seamus Member
    93 karma

No recommendations, I just want to say keep up the good work and stay the course! I retook in November and earned the same score I received in June- 165. So I'm probably going to retake in March too.

I think taking the March LSAT is intelligent, because there is only an upside: you earn a higher LSAT score and get more $$$. Let's keep each other accountable and our spirits high!

750 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    Okay, so I haven't touched the LSAT since the September test. I have not reviewed the test itself, although I know how each section broke out (LR: -6, -6, RC -6, LG -3). I was / am relatively happy with my 163 although it only off-sets my 20 year old uGPA of 2.73 so much. I've got 7 applications outstanding. I do have 2 acceptances in hand, one of which I am happy with / would attend. However, as my 163 is still 2 points below where I was averaging at the time and only at median at a few of my reach schools, I am looking at studying for the March LSAT while the rest of this cycle plays out. Worst case scenario, I happily go to one of the schools I'm already accepted at. Best case scenario, I increase my score and get a better outcome on some of the other still pending applications. I'm anticipating wait lists (if not outright dings) for my reach schools.

So, here's the plan:

1. Redo the LR portion of the CC. Nice and slow, focusing on going ensuring complete understanding.

After that:

1. Continue to fool-proof LG (I've got a huge binder of games from my previous work ups).

2. Practice different techniques for RC. I tended to do better with RC than the scored -6. So I'll continue to work with that.

3. Start PTing about early February (assuming timing works).

I've only got 9 fresh PTs to work with, all "older" ones in the 30/40/50 range. When it comes time to PT, I'll mix fresh PTs with reused ones from further back in my prep.

I'm not going to register for the LSAT until just before the deadline. I'm willing to let my current applications stand on their own strength.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Actually maybe I do have a recommendation, something I just heard on the 7Sage podcast. I’m going to keep a Word document and write out explanations of why I chose the answer I did. I think writing out explanations will me dive deeper into the logic of the question. If you have never tried it, it might be helpful.

• edited December 2018 107 karma

If you haven't done so already, I would definitely recommend recording yourself while you take the PT's and analyzing your test taking strategies. At this point, you are not only aiming for higher accuracy but also more refined testing techniques as well. I felt that analyzing the recordings really helped me get rid of inefficient habits and develop an internal clock, and I think the confidence that followed not only improved my timing but ultimately my accuracy. I think my jump from a 166 to 171 is largely due to the recordings.

As for the retakes, I found these to be very helpful also. I think doing the tests again really makes you retrace your thought processes. To improve stamina, maybe try doing them 30 mins/section or try adding sections to take maybe 5,6 section PT. I found this to be helpful.