Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Things I've learned/Parallels between Heavy Lifting & LSAT?

poohbearpoohbear Alum Member
edited December 2014 in General 496 karma
I've been studying for the LSAT for a while now, currently just started my PT phase and I'm still not near my target score (aiming for Feb test right now). I've also been getting into heavy lifting within the last three months and I recently made the connection of how lifting is very much like studying for the LSAT.

I don't know how many of you are familiar with lifting, and I can't really call myself an expert-- like I said, I've only just started but maybe it's because I'm a newb that it's really easy for me to draw these parallels between the two. First, lifting heavy really requires you to have proper form just like having a good core foundation of lessons for the LSAT. You must have good form before you move onto heavier weights-- by jumping ahead and trying to lift a ton without the training of proper form, you're putting yourself at risk for injury. In a similar way, I've realized that I can't just burn through my PTs when I notice that my foundation isn't solid. I can easily tell through my BRs and my attitude during the test-- sometimes during a PT, I'll see a question and freak/stress out because I know I should be more familiar with it and yet I know I'm not. When moments like these happen, I know it's time to revisit those core lessons again just like when I realize my form is off with lifting, it's time to lower those weights and reassess what I'm doing wrong with my form to see how I can fix it.

Something else that I've realized is that, progress is slowwwww with both lifting and the LSAT. And it can get frustrating, but you just have to believe in yourself, trust the process and that the numbers will come. Personally, I know I have to listen to my own advice about the LSAT more because I've been slightly discouraged lately. On the other hand, I've been really seeing some great progress with my lifting! Something that I've noticed that really helps with all of this is to track the progress-- no matter how little it is, whether it's an extra rep or an extra 5 pounds-- progress is progress! Now I'm able to squat, bench and deadlift and I've made significant progress for all of them! It also doesn't hurt that I'm starting to see those changes in my body too ;) I think I need to start feeling the same way about my LSAT prep and maybe start tracking not just my PTs but every kind of practice I'm doing every day.

And last but not least, I've learned that I just need to jump right into it- no matter how scared I am. As a girl, I've always been curious about lifting heavy/power lifting but was slightly intimidated by the guys in that section of the gym. Once my guy friend decided to switch to my gym, I had him bring me to that section and then teach me all the basics. Even though now I still get slightly nervous walking into that section of the gym at the beginning of each workout, I know why I'm there and I just jump right in. And once I do that, I feel much better. Similarly, for the LSAT I've had this huge mental block about studying and taking the exam because it always seemed like this huge nerve-wracking thing that was going to determine my future (almost a 170 or bust kind of deal) and I've realized that by freaking out and being scared will never get me anywhere. I need to jump right in and face it head on by doing the lessons, practice the things I'm learning from 7Sage and then take those PTs to improve.

Sorry for the super long post, but these are just some things I've noticed through my journeys with weight lifting and the LSAT. I still have a long way to go for both, but I won't stop-- this is just the beginning! And if anyone takes away anything from this post, then.. yay :) I'm glad it helped in someway or another.

Best of luck to those taking the exam tomorrow and shout out to those that are still studying for the exam! We're in this together!