Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logic notation question

ShrilarauneShrilaraune Alum Member
edited December 2018 in General 169 karma

Hi fam and happy holidays to those celebrating!
I had a quick notation question if that's alright? So coming from a formal logic background and Powerscore tutoring, I was always told to notate an "and" statement like so:
..........B
A→ +
..........C
However, while I was foolproofing the Logic Games from PT 70 I came across J.Y's method/style:

A→B
↘ C

I do remember this notation from my 7 sage days years ago and more recently from some lessons upon my return, so I tried it. No surprise, it made the game infinitely easier (Game 2 for reference).

My question is this: Are there situations where one style is better than the other and if so what are they?

Thanks for your time!

Comments

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

They're essentially the same thing, but I personally prefer 7sage's method because it's more visual to me and makes chaining a lot easier. I think it really comes down to what you think works best for you in terms of efficiency. Happy holidays!

• redshiftredshift Alum Member
    261 karma

Really comes down to what you find easiest. I also took modal logic in university. I just use ampersands.

1. A --> B & C
    2. A
      Therefore
    3. B&C (1,2)
    4. B (3)
    5. C (3)