Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice for science passages

Coco_119Coco_119 Alum Member

I have about a 10th grade level knowledge of science so science passages about things like fractal curves or the ocean floor spreading theory are completly abstract for me. Does anyone have advice on understanding complex science passages?

Comments

• blackberryblackberry Alum Member
    edited January 2019 218 karma

I get you. Whenever science passages show up, at the back of my mind I know I am screwed. But I've also been trying to see how I can improve. I've been consistently reading articles from Scientific American and the Economist, and it really helps. Not that I will remember specific details about the ocean floor spreading theory or what not, but training myself to brute force my way through hard subject material, is quite signifiant in itself. I also try to read through basic science materials (Science for Kids - nothing to be ashamed of!, NASA for Kids, etc.). I also try to feign interest; before a passage, I try to think to myself, "Okay. I am very interested in this topic, and I want to learn more about it." Oddly, this mentality has helped me pay closer attention, catch more details, and understand the passage more fully than when I first started with the "I am screwed" attitude.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

It's helpful if you can remember that you don't have to understand the science behind the passage. You have to understand the arguments, the points of view, and the structure, but it's not a science quiz. All of the information you need is on the paper in front of you. It really doesn't feel that way sometimes, but I find it helpful to remind myself of that