Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

#help: from identifying the "gap" to find the correct answer choice

ltypku23ltypku23 Alum Member

Hi 7sagers.

I've been reviewing my incorrect answers these days. One major problem in my LR is that sometimes I eliminate all the answer choices and cannot see the correct answer that describes the "gap" that I found in the argument, so I end up with a less wrong answer (which is actually wrong). After I review the explanation, I can see the correct answer does describe the gap/ logic error that I have found during the timed session. I know the correct answer choices tend to hide themselves in some ways. But anyone has any suggestions on how to solve this problem?
Practice makes perfect? or are there any useful strategies that we could apply?
Thank you in advance!!

Comments

• Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member
    2803 karma

It sounds like you are analyzing the argument and coming up with a pre phrase to the assumption in the argument. In other words the gap between the premise and conclusion. This is great because it means you are consciously thinking about the argument and evaluating it. However, the test writers are super tricky and a way for them to make questions difficult is to prey on what most peoples initial reactions are to an argument (the pre phrase) and plant an Answer Choice that sounds like the pre phrase but has a little nuance about it that makes it very wrong. This question from PT 67 is a great example: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-67-section-2-question-13/

Another trick the test writers employ is to make an argument with a very obvious assumption but decide to go another more subtle route with the credited answer choice. So often pre phrases can impede you if you fall too in love with them.

I think the best route to go is to try to make your pre phrase as functional as possible. By this I mean considering why the premise does not support the conclusion. Keeping it more general can help you avoid feel discouraged if your specific pre phrase is not in the Answers. Additionally, really reading each AC to see if it is saying what you think it is is a great way to avoid traps. I often fall for traps when I really understand the argument and conflate the trap AC to match my pre phrase.

Lastly, pushing Answer Choices into the premise and conclusion can really help. For example for a weakening question you can evaluate the AC thinking "Does this piece of info really make the premise less likely to lead to the conclusion?"

In summation, this is completely normal to have happen and it is a by product of test writers making questions a little bit more difficult and tricky. These mistakes can be corrected with a little bit more robust and careful analysis.

This trick by test writers also occurs in RC where trap Answer Choices sound right but are incorrect because of 1 or 2 words.

I hope this addresses your question adequately!

• ltypku23ltypku23 Alum Member
    75 karma

Thank you very much @"Lucas Carter"! I agree. I think I should try to be more open-minded when I compare my pre-phrase with the ACs..