Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Way to Estimate LSAT/GPA Needed for Full Ride?

j036h619j036h619 Free Trial Member

My question: Is there any way to estimate the GPA and LSAT numbers that will likely lead to a full tuition scholarship to any given law school (i.e. above 75th percentile in both, for example)?

Reason for the question: I'm a college student at a public university near the area I grew up. My goal is to practice law in that area, so I'm tentatively planning to go to my school's law school. Since the school is a public school ranked 50-100 range, I can't find much help from online tools like hourumd.com or mylsn.info. I understand and expect that answers to such a general question will have a lot of astericks attached, but I'm hoping to identify some general guidelines.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• simple_jacksimple_jack Alum Member
    284 karma

Score a 170+ you’ll go for free ;) (I’d hope)

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

A look at the school's ABA 509 report will give an idea of how "loose" a school is with scholarships. You can then compare their GPA / LSAT data with their historical scholarship allocation. Its a rough estimate, but you can get an idea of what percentage of their students receive what amount of scholarships. One would suspect that those at the high end of their GPA / LSAT range would receive at the high end of their scholarship allocation.

There are no "guarantees" because budgets and priorities change over time; however, you can tease out general trends using these data points.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

MyLsn.com has info people volunteer to put in. Put in your GPA (or range if you're not done) and your LSAT score, and you'll see on the search what your odds of admission are (based on user reported outcomes), and if you click on the school name in the list, you can see if those users reported a scholarship offer and how much. Some schools, however, request that info to remain confidential, so sometimes you wont know what they got. Under the School's page on my LSN, there is a way to graph reported acceptances, so you can get an idea of who gets accepted. If you hover over the dots, you can see scholarship offers and at what levels. The frustrating part of MyLSN, though, is it's just user reported data, so it's not the end all be all by any means.
    But I agree with Wrecker: check the school's 509. It will say how many scholarships they offered, and to what level (50% to full, more than full ride, etc). Gives you a better idea about what a school might be able to do for you. Compare those odds with their 75th percentile, and what you can gleam from MyLSN, and it should give you an overall picture.

• j036h619j036h619 Free Trial Member
    23 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker: Thanks for this recommendation, very helpful!

• j036h619j036h619 Free Trial Member
    23 karma

@AudaciousRed: Thanks for the explanation. The info on the 509 is just what I was hoping for.